Winchester 71 owners. I need help (comparison) thanks

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 am
I have a fairly newly acquired long tang 71. This afternoon I cleaned the barrel really well. Upon examining the inside of the action, I noticed that there was some evidence of very fine file work on the "wings" of the carrier. I tried to take pictures of it using a flashlight to make the filed area shine. Obviously, I hope this is evidence of hand tuning from the factory and not a the recent handiwork of a gunsmith to correct some feeding problem. If you have a 71 and if you have time, I would very much appreciate it if you would lever open your action and really examine yours to see if you also have evidence of filing (blueing filed off) thanks a million.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:13 pm
I see this post is a couple years old but what the heck. I can't make out much from the picture. I believe the marks you are looking at are wear marks. I see similar marks on mine. These guns were machined so I think the super fine grid like marks are machine marks and where the bluing is worn off is wear. Your rifle has to be 57 yrs old at least (mine being a '53 model is 61) so you will have wear. If you read about this model you will see that they are all about perfection. Seems Winchester did this model to pay back their loyal customers and they didn't make much off the model. So if the marks are slight and the worst is the bluing wear you should be fine.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:14 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum pharmvet !!

...and thanks rootintootin71....better late than never !! ;)

Return to Winchester Model 71