I just bought a 1968 model 88 carbine I need some help

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:54 pm
So after a long search i found a model 88 in really nice shape and I bought it. I need help in picking a sling that would have been used when this rifle was new. I wasn't born until 1975 so i really have no idea what would be correct. Thank you in advance for your help.
20g
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:17 pm
Hello mg! Welcome to the site.

Can't help with the sling. There are a few sling gurus onboard.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum mg4201 !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area on the front page.

Enjoy our community...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:55 am
Welcome to the forum! I have no experience with the Model 88 Carbine, nor slings of the era. Lot of folks like the 88 Carbine. Post some pics of her when ya can.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:11 am
Yea...period slings can be hard to find...and there is no guarantee it came with the gun back in the day anyway.

Pick one that's leather and you will at least have that look going for it...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm
I ended up making a sling with a piece of leather with an acorn and oak leaf pattern pressed into it. I went to 1.5 inches wide and necked the sling down to fit through the sling loops, mostly because I didn't want to narrow that patterned leather too much. I will take a picture of the sling tonight and post it in the morning. Thank you for all your help gentlemen I appreciate it. With any luck this rifle and I will bag a nice moose and or bear this fall. Happy shooting

Return to Winchester Model 88