Winchester Model 88 Rifle

Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm
The Winchester Model 88 Rifle
http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_88.htm

Introduced in 1955 for the then new .308 Winchester cartridge, the hammerless Winchester Model 88 was entirely different and technically more advanced than any previous Winchester lever action rifle. In fact, its combination of modern features has never been equaled by any other lever action rifle except the more or less contemporary Sako Finnwolf, introduced about 10 years after the Model 88. Within a year the .243 Winchester and .358 Winchester cartridges were added to the Model 88, and in 1963 the .284 Winchester cartridge became available.

To my eye the Model 88 was one of the most aesthetically pleasing rifles ever produced. Visually, it resembled a lever action bred to a bolt action. It was a streamlined rifle that featured a solid frame, front locking 3-lug rotating bolt, side ejection, short throw lever, crossbolt safety, one-piece walnut pistol grip stock, black plastic butt plate, and a steel 4-shot detachable box magazine (three shot in .284 Win.). A hooded, gold bead front and adjustable folding rear open sights were provided. The receiver was drilled and tapped for scope mounts and aperture sights. Sling swivels were included. The round, featherweight contour barrel was 22" long and the rifle's overall length was 42.5". Catalog weight was 7.25 pounds, but most examples I've seen actually weighed about 7 pounds.

In 1967 the Model 88 carried a MSRP of $139.95; extra magazines were $3.90. For comparison, that same year the MSRP of the Model 94 was $85.95 and the MSRP of the Model 70 Standard rifle was $149.95. In 1968 a carbine version of the Model 88 with a 19" barrel was introduced in .243, .284, and .308 with a plain (not checkered) stock secured by a barrel band at the front. Pricing remained similar.

The Winchester 88's front locking, multi-lug rotating bolt operated much like the modern Browning BLR. Functionally, it was a bolt action rifle operated by a lever. It offered most of the features of a bolt action rifle with faster lever action operation. In particular, its manual operation and front locking bolt made it a suitable rifle for serious reloaders.

Its slim, one-piece, black walnut stock was originally adorned by cut checkering in a simple point pattern at pistol grip and forearm. In 1964 this was changed to a fancier impressed acorn and basket weave "stock carving" pattern. I have always felt that the simpler diamond point cut checkering better suited the 88's personality.

The Model 88's biggest advantage over bolt action rifles chambered for the same cartridges was that it simply handled better; it was sleeker, smoother and faster. The absence of a protruding bolt handle also made it a better rifle to carry in a saddle scabbard. And, of course, repeat shots could be fired faster with less interruption of aim.

The Winchester 88 was designed for modern short action, high intensity cartridges. These eventually included the .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .358 Winchester and .284 Winchester. The .243, .358 and .308 are all based on the same (.308) case necked up and down. The .284 was based on a unique rebated rim case of the same length and rim diameter but somewhat greater powder capacity. Among these, the .243 and .308 went on to become very popular, while the .284 and .358 languished, and this was reflected in Model 88 sales figures.

At the time of its introduction the .243 Winchester cartridge was advertised as driving an 80 grain varmint bullet at a MV of 3500 fps and a 100 grain deer bullet at a MV of 3070 fps.

The .284 Winchester was intended to provide .270 Winchester performance in a short action cartridge. The catalog MV was 3200 fps with a 125 grain bullet and 2900 fps with a 150 grain bullet.

The most popular .308 Winchester factory loads claimed a catalog MV of 2860 fps with a 150 grain bullet, and a MV of 2610 fps with a 180 grain bullet. This is the cartridge that best fitted the Model 88's personality and purpose, and was the best selling caliber.

The .358 Winchester was introduced with Winchester/Western factory loads using 200 and 250 grain bullets. The 200 grain Silvertip load had a catalog MV of 2530 fps. The 250 grain load had a claimed MV of 2250 fps. The .358 was, and is, a deadly medium range woods cartridge on the order of the previous.348 Winchester. This chambering was discontinued in 1964.

The M 88's only real drawbacks were that its trigger was neither as light or as clean as a Model 94 or a Model 70. Its trigger moved with the lever, avoiding a bruised finger due to careless operation, but complicating the trigger linkage. And, it kicked pretty hard in .284, .308 and .358. It was not a pleasant rifle to shoot in such powerful calibers. By modern standards the stock had too much drop at comb, and the surface area of the butt plate was too small. A good recoil pad would have helped, but was not supplied.

The 88 was reasonably popular and stayed in the Winchester line for about two decades; between 283,000 and 285,000 were produced. (The numbers seem to vary depending on the source.) The Model 88 was dropped from the Winchester line in 1973.

I think that, by the 1960s, it was basically a rifle out of sync with time. Lever action fans were perfectly happy with their traditional (and much less expensive) .30-30's, and bolt action fans would not buy a lever action rifle no matter how good it was. Then, too, the 88 was designed around standard, short action cartridges and the gun buying public became consumed by the belted magnum craze. The .260 Remington and 7mm-08 cartridges, which would have been perfect for the Model 88, were not introduced until long after it had been discontinued.

The sample Model 88 that I shot, which was owned by a good friend, was an accurate rifle, delivering groups averaging about 1.5 MOA. That is good for any big game rifle, and especially with iron sights. This was a stock .308 with only the standard iron sights, and it weighed a bare 7 pounds. Neither of us found it to be much fun to shoot at the range. We agreed that the 88's reputation as a hard kicking rifle was well deserved.

Equipped with a 2-7x variable power scope and a steel scope mount/rings, plus a good recoil pad, a Model 88 would weigh about 8 to 8.25 pounds. That should make it a more comfortable proposition to shoot. If I owned a Model 88, that is how I would set it up.

The Model 88 is also discussed in my articles The Lever Action and Winchester Medium Bore Lever Action Rifles.
Administrator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:22 pm
Winchester Model 88 Rifle

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/winchester-model-88

Ever want a bolt-action rifle that handles like a slick lever gun? Just get a Winchester Model 88. The Model 88 features a three-lug, rotating bolt action that is cycled with an underlever that looks like that of a Model 99 Savage. And the Model 88 does all of this with the configuration and feel of a Model 70 Winchester, widely touted as "the rifleman's rifle."

During its production run from 1955 through 1973, there were roughly 284,000 (some list the number as 283,913) Model 88s made in .308, .243, .358 and .284. When introduced, the Model 88 was available only in .308. The next year--1956--two more chamberings were added the .243 and the .358. And then in 1963 the .284 was introduced.

There was an interesting phenomenon afoot in the shooting industry in those early days of the Model 88 that, interestingly, parallels some of the things going on in the industry today. The Model 88 handled relatively short and fat cartridges compared to the "standard" cartridges of the day like the .30-06 and .270.

Some might opine that a rifle has achieved some degree of lasting relevance if it has had a cartridge specifically designed for it. Perhaps. But in the case of the Model 88, exactly half of the cartridges originally chambered to it are no longer in common use. And the .308 and .243 do not continue to enjoy popularity due to the Model 88; their popularity was unaffected when the rifle was dropped. In the end, the Model 88 never really set the sales world afire. (But it does pose a question Why, when Winchester changed the Model 70 bolt-action rifle in 1964, didn't the company opt to have the new bolt action feature three-lug lockup? After all, the Model 88 proved that the company knew how to make three lugs work. So why didn't Winchester add a shorter bolt lift to the features of the post-'64 Model 70?)

When the Model 88 was introduced, I was in awe. It seemed to embody everything I thought I ever wanted in a rifle. And it was chambered for that "new" .308 round. Wow! Deer in Michigan would never be safe again, I thought to myself.

Since then I've shot a number of Model 88s. Yet I own just one, a late-'50s .243. That's probably because of the difference between the dream and the reality of the Model 88. For me it's an "almost" rifle--a "coulda-been, shoulda-been" kind of a thing. I must admit that I have shot some Model 88s that have been custom redone, and they are awesome. But the as-issued rifles always seemed to need some kind of qualifier injected into the conversation when they were discussed.

For example, the featherweight-barrel contour is a little whippy. Typically, it's not difficult to get a Model 88 to shoot somewhere in the 1.25- to 1.5-inch category at 100 yards. Mine will deliver 1.5- to 1.6-inch groups with most good ammo, but nothing much better--ever. But rarely is an as-issued Model 88 able to deliver an-inch-or-better groups. Some folks blame the trigger, but it has always seemed that the barrel itself does well to do much better than 1 1/4 inches. Bear in mind, however, that the standard Model 70 of the same period typically delivered about the same-size groups, so there is no effort here to be unnecessarily harsh on the Model 88.

Speaking of the trigger, the kindest thing one can say about it is that when sufficient force is applied to it, it will allow the rifle to fire. That can, however, be remedied, so the issue need not be a deciding one for anyone who wants to shoot a Model 88 a lot.

The real joy of the Model 88 is that it handles quickly and points and swings superbly. In a hunting rifle, these are important things. And that's what the Model 88 is--a hunting rifle.

The lever mechanism/linkage on the Model 88 is unique. For one thing, the trigger and everything remains with the lever as it is cycled. When the action is cycled, the bolt is pulled rearward and then pushed forward, rotating the three-lug, front locking bolt at the end of the forward cycle. It works well and locks up great.
The magazine is a removable box design that holds four cartridges, which means that it's possible to carry five rounds (with one in the chamber). The beefy magazine release allows it to be removed with cold and/or wet hands.

Pre-'64 Model 88s feature diamond cut-checkering on the pistol grip and fore-end and a steel lever. For the most part, those made after 1964 featured non-ferrous levers and impressed basketweave checkering (as is often the case with old Winchesters, non-cataloged variations are encountered, so it's risky to make blanket statements about features). Barrels are 22 inches long, and there's no barrelband. In 1968 Winchester added the Model 88 carbine that featured no checkering, a barrelband and 19-inch barrel. The carbine was chambered in .308, .243 and .284.

Unlike traditional Winchester lever actions, the Model 88 has a sleek, modern look with its contoured receiver and one-piece stock. It came drilled and tapped for scope mounting or for a rear aperture sight.

Perhaps one of its accuracy challenges is the way the barreled action is connected to the stock. Somehow the term "bedding" as it is used for bolt-action rifles doesn't quite seem to apply to the Model 88. There is one screw (bolt) holding the barrel to the fore-end about an inch forward of the rear sight. The rear of the barreled action is held in place by a steel fixture into which the rear of the action is keyed. Although this system is substantial, it can result in uneven torque on the barrel and action during firing if everything is not totally perfect--which it rarely is for out-of-the-box rifles.

One does not have to be a serious Winchester collector to want a Model 88. The rifle was the product of a transitional era in the firearms industry. It could be argued that the late 1950s and early 1960s heralded the beginning of the modern era of sporting rifles. And the Model 88 was the industry's last, best shot at reviving the lever action. In the same way that the Model 71 was the last of the Winchester lever rifles of the Browning design that fell to the Model 70 in the marketplace, the Model 88 lost the final round in the "high-intensity lever gun" contest.

By the time the Model 88 left the market, Savage's Model 99 lever action was also in steep decline. Sako's Finnwolf spanned the same general period, having been introduced in 1962 and discontinued in 1974. Yet both Winchester and Marlin have continued to market traditional lever actions in less intense chamberings. This has ensured that--within certain parameters--the lever action lives on. But as a mainline rifle in competition with the bolt action, it's history. (In 1961 Winchester introduced the Model 100, which, for general discussion, was the semiauto version of the Model 88. It, too, was dropped in 1973.)

Still, the Model 88 has a cultlike following of fans who simply adore it. They'll get no argument from me. It's still one heck of a fun gun to shoot and hunt with.

Sadly, many Model 88s spend most of their time these days in closets and gun vaults. They deserve better than that. They deserve to be hunted with, shot and enjoyed. Mine finds its way into the open spaces of the Southwest routinely, where it serves primarily as a predator-popper. It may not deliver hair-splitting accuracy, but it shoots minute-of-coyote on a daily basis.

The Model 88 is a true Winchester and one of the more interesting designs of its time. In its own way, it truly is a classic.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:22 pm
The 88 always seems to get a bad reputation for a couple of reasons that I feel it doesn't deserve. People comment on poor accuracy issues, and also for 88's being a hard kicking rifle in .308 or .358. I really can't understand why so many people feel this way about accuracy, unless my 2 are exceptionally good shooters. I have a pre 64, and post 64 both chambered in .308, I find shooting them is actually quite easy on the shoulder. Both rifles will shoot groups just as good or better than any bolt action I've shot. I can usually cover my 3 shot groups with a loonie at 100 yds., felt recoil is no more than a model 94 .30-30 ? When you see how this action locks up, its no suprise to me that it has the potential to be accurate. I'd rather deer hunt with my pre-64 88 .308 than any other rifle I've laid my hands on to date.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm
Here's my pre-64 model 88 in .308 caliber
Attachments
88.jpg
88.jpg (189.79 KiB) Viewed 23100 times
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm
Milo Hanson set a world record with a model 88 in 2003 and the record still stands. He used a Model 88 to harvest what is still officially considered to be the biggest whitetail deer ever taken by a hunter (typical score of over 213").
Attachments
89DA8E99F60D46848EAB652B2E424C1F[1].jpg
89DA8E99F60D46848EAB652B2E424C1F[1].jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 23025 times

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:04 am
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. OK! A few years ago I bought a Model 88 in .358. It is a post 64 and in pretty good shape. The only issue is I have no magazine. I am told the 308 magazine will not work with the .358. I understand the case neck is different. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy a .358 magazine or how to modify a 308 magazine to work with the .358? I only paid $250. I just couldn't pass it up.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:18 pm
CoopperBB, I think you might be out of luck on getting a magazine. I have the 88 in every caliber except the .358 and I might be interested in buying yours if the price is right to round out my collection if you can't find that mag. Keep me in mind.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:42 pm
The .358 mags are very hard to find, but not impossible. I havent heard of anyone having success modifying a different caliber mag to work with the .358. I recently found an original new in the box .284 caliber mag on ebay for my model 100, if you watch ebay, you might find what you need. 88's are not very tolerant when it comes to feeding, so I'd spend some time searching out a proper .358 mag. If I see any, I'll pm you with the details.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 am
I don't think the 359 magazines were marked base on my research. There is only about 50 thousandths difference between a 308 case neck and a 358 case neck. I just may have to pick up a few 308 magazines and try. I will keep you posted. If I figure it out I will post a how to.

Return to Winchester Model 88