Winchester 69A Marks and Identification of Year

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:08 am
Hello fellow members,Does anyone know if a small oval stamp with a anchor in it was a normal mark on the model 69A? mine has one behind the rear sight and one above the bullet chamber.

I know that no serial numbers were issued for the 69A ,is there a way to identify the year of manufacturer?

I don't have a camera but plan on taking photo's of it soon,I would also like to know if it would be worth spending money on to purchase a bolt assembly,or should I trade it off on a different model of winchester?

Thank you for reading this and any answer I might receive

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:21 pm
I believe you're mistaking the Winchester proof mark, an oval with a W/P overlaid for an anchor in the oval. My 69A is an early match model with no rear sight and a Redfield receiver peep. My brother has a later 69A sporting rifle. Some differences as to age are the way the magazines are marked on the bottom, and front sights. My magazine has, "Made in USA-Winchester-Trade Mark" stamped on it, his simply "Winchester". My front sight is a dovetail with a blade pinned in, his is one piece, like a typical 50's .22 rifle.

The W-P overlay in the oval was standard on most all Winchester rifle and shotgun receivers and barrels back in the day. Look at it in good light under a magnifying glass.

Return to Winchester Model 69 & 697