The Winchester Model 100

Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm
The Winchester Model 100,
A Classic Rifle

By Ed Turner

This is a classic Winchester rifle I have enjoyed for years. It was last produced in 1973, so many of the newer hunters among us has never seen nor heard of this classy semi-auto. It is unlike any other high powered semi-auto in that it wears a nice one-piece stock, just like a typical bolt rifle. It makes the sometimes misunderstood semi-auto look a bit more civilized.

That is actually the reason that I originally became interested in this rifle; it's classy looks compared to most other autoloaders. Winchester brought out the Model 100 in 1961 as a kind of companion to their Model 88 lever action, which debuted in 1955). It too, wears a one-piece stock of very similar design, except that the semi-auto has a fuller forend to contain the working mechanism. The same two checkering patterns, one a hand checkered point pattern and the other a fancier basket weave impressed design, were used on both rifles. The cut checkering was used prior to 1964 and, as a cost cutting method, the basket weave pattern after 1964.

Other than the checkering change on both guns, there were no other wholesale changes to either the Model 88 or the Model 100 in 1964, so the easiest way to recognize pre and post '64s is by the checkering alone. I actually prefer the look of the cheaper basket weave pattern. Such is my appreciation for the "classic." Anyway, one of the big reasons I like both of these rifles is because of their stock designs. The Model 100's stock, however, is a bit beefier than the Model 88 stock.

The Model 100 was originally offered in two calibers (.243 and .308 Win.) and one model, a rifle with a 22" barrel. Later on another caliber, .284 Winchester, and style--a carbine with a 19" barrel and no checkering on the stock--were added. I understand that the carbine model in .284 caliber is the rarest version of the model 100.

In fact, any .284 Model 100 in good condition is a coveted collector's piece. By far most Model 100s are rifles in .308 caliber. Followed by rifles in .243. Any carbine is automatically an interesting collector's item, but again most were produced in .308.

My first model 100 was a rifle in .308 purchased around 1980. It has been very finicky in operation from the day I purchased it (used). It is prone to jamming at any time, and any place. I took, at one point, to calling it my single shot semi-auto. I have taken it to no less than 3 different gunsmiths and even though it may seem better for a while, it has never been "cured".

About ten or twelve years after I purchased my first model 100 I bought another as a "return from Desert Storm" present, this one a carbine model in .308. This carbine has always functioned near perfectly. The 19" barrel makes it a very handy 39" (approximately) in overall length, perfect for all but the longest shots in typical whitetail habitat.

The carbine is just about perfect in length and the rifle is exactly the same length as a Model 70 with 22' barrel. The weight is also pretty close to that of a bolt action rifle of the same size. It's not a heavy rifle, lighter than a similar BAR or Remington 7400 by at least a 1/4 pound. I have also somehow acquired a rifle in .243 and it is a real pleasure to shoot. There is practically no apparent recoil shooting .243 cartridges in a gas operated autoloading rifle of this weight.

I have refinished both the .308s, the rifle with impressed checkering and the carbine with it's smooth stock. Both were finished with a clear polyurethane finish and the grain on both these pieces of walnut is nothing short of beautiful. I have likely destroyed some or most of the collector value in doing so, but their new look is so nice, I'm glad I did it.

The .243 still wears what appears to be the original lacquer finish, flaking in spots. All Model 100s (and Model 88s) are fed from the same type of detachable box magazine. This holds 4 cartridges in .243, .308 and .358 Win. (the latter a Model 88 caliber only) and 3 in .284 due to it's fatter case.

One of my favorite features about these rifles is the fact you can remove the magazine, eject the chambered round, then insert the 4th round back into the magazine. That makes it quick and easy to unload and reload, as long as you only used four rounds in the first place.

The safety is a "push button" type, as on most semi-autos. But, this one is placed in a better position. It's located in the front of the trigger guard, not behind the trigger. This, to me, is a much more natural and comfortable spot to keep your finger when still hunting, a forte of semi-autos in my opinion. It feels quite natural to have your index finger on the safety and, while shouldering the rifle for a quick shot, push it "off" and then move your finger back a bit to the trigger as you prepare to fire at your quarry.

The Model 100 stock is classically styled, with no cheek piece or Monte Carlo hump. It has a metal pistol grip cap and most have a red "W" on a circular plate glued to the metal grip cap. Unfortunately for me, the epoxy I used to re-glue these plates back onto the grip cap didn't hold well and now both of the rifles I refinished have a grip cap without the plate.

All Model 100s were also supplied with Winchester's sling swivels of that era. These are the permanently attached type that needs a sling to keep them from rattling, just like the older Model 70s. (Or, you can wrap them with cloth tape. -Ed.)

Not to belabor the point, but the Model 100's stock design made it a very attractive rifle in its day, and it still is. Unfortunately, sales were never outstanding and when production costs for both the Model 100 and Model 88 soared, Winchester ceased production in 1973.

Both models are still occasionally seen on dealers' used shelves, and if you spot one have a look. Many are missing the front sight hood, and most have had recoil pads installed. No Model 100 or Model 88 was ever produced with a recoil pad. This would most certainly affect its collector value. Spend accordingly.

I'm sure Milo Hanson is glad that he owned one. He used a Model 100 to harvest what is still officially considered to be the biggest whitetail deer ever taken by a hunter (typical score of over 213").

I have enjoyed my Model 100s (and my Model 88 as well) through the years and I always seem to "need" to use one of them during every deer season in my home state of Tennessee. I have always considered myself lucky to live in a state where a long and liberal season allows me the time to enjoy a low key, "classic" hunt.

With one of these rifles in hand I feel totally capable of harvesting any animal I might see. Even though none of my Winchester semi-autos will win any bench rest shooting competitions, they have helped me harvest my two best whitetail bucks with "dropped in their tracks" shots. Not much more you can ask for, is there? Attractive, nice handling, and gets the job done with minimum fuss. Heck, we should all be happy to have a wife so good, never mind a deer rifle!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 pm
Although Ed Turner has an interesting story about the largest whitetail being harvested by Milo Hanson with a model 100, this is not so....Milo Hanson shot this monster buck with a model 88. If you take a close look at the pic you can see the lever..... I personally wrote Ed Turner about this and he agreed that its a mistake. He has actually tried to change the article, but the website owner won't correct the mistake.
Attachments
89DA8E99F60D46848EAB652B2E424C1F[1].jpg
89DA8E99F60D46848EAB652B2E424C1F[1].jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 26987 times

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm
I am on my second Winchester M100. The first was scrapped by Winchester, after it went full auto on me at the range, and on the last round it fired out of battery. The action was damaged, and it was then, that I found out about the recall, on it. I called Winchester, and they were very cooperative, said to return it for evaluation and repair. It appeared repairable to me, but apparently wasn't. After they had it several months, I got the call that broke me heart. It was beyond repair, and due to it being under "loss of life recall" they couldn't even ship back the non working shell. Since it was a Pre'64 family heirloom, and had a family story to go with it, it was sad to see it go.
For 2, or 3 years, I've been looking to replace it, and did, almost two weeks ago. I found 7 of them, at one small gun show, in Poteau, OK. I made a deal that I could live with, for another Pre'64, with a serial number less than 100, from my first. Knowing they were under recall, I first disassembled it, and checked the firing pin. It had the old, recalled one. I called Winchester's recall line, and they agreed that it had not yet been serviced. I sent the firing pin back, in the manner I was instructed to do, and got the new one back, today. Though, I guess they no longer give the $30 check with it.
Well, I got the pin installed, and went to test fire it, in the yard, a few minutes ago, and it is not striking the primers hard enough, to ignite, consistently. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:09 am
First of all, I'm not a gunsmith, I just know what ended up working for me, so you might need more help than this will provide.... Check the actuator rods for any bending and ensure that the bolt is coming ahead and rotating into full battery, check headspace. You should also check the gas piston and cylinder for corrosion and ensure that it is operating smoothly. A slightly rusted or dirty chamber can also make all kinds of bad things happen, and you normally won't get any reliable functioning until it is cleaned and polished. When I installed my new firing pin, the slotted guide pin that comes with it needed to be fitted to the bolt by lightly polishing the edges of the slot with 600 grit sand paper before it would work smoothly.Normally a gunsmith will take care of fitting these parts when the recall is done. Also check the new slotted pin to see if there is any binding where it passes through the bolt and lightly polish any rough areas. Cleanliness is paramount on the 100 if you want it to be reliable. (There are probably lots more things to check, these are just a few things that worked for mine.)
Here is a link to an information page that might help you.. http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Gun%20A ... _info.html

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 am
Thanks. Much appreciated. I think I'll just take her to a 'smith, and get checked out. She was clean, and I didn't sense any binding, but, it did seem like there wasn't enough firing pin travel. My impression, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Sharkman !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 pm
Well, as of today, I am thoroughly disgusted with Winchester. And, seeing that Winchester and Browning, are the same company, I guess I'm done with both of them.
My gunsmith says that there is a problem with the replacement firing pin, but, not being familiar with it, he's not certain what is wrong. He suggested sending it back to Winchester, for evaluation and/or repair. That means Nu-Line. Winchester doesn't work on anything that they don't currently sell.
So, I called the hotline number, again, and they said that there was nothing that they could do. I should call WRA. WRA said call Midwest Firearms. Midwest said to call Nu-Line. Nu-Line says I'm full of it, on my story, regarding the first M100, as it would have been sent there, by Winchester, and they've never gotten one in, that couldn't be repaired and sent back. Nor, do they have any record of my gun being there. Now, I have to spend shipping costs, and $75, just to get it evaluated. Then, another $75 or more to fix it. Needless to say, I'm frustrated, and not at all happy with Winchester. First, I lost a family heirloom to them. And didn't get back what it was worth to me. Now, I have to spend even more money, to find out what is wrong with their replacement firing pin.

I also own an 1894, made in 1901. When I fix this M100, and sell it, it will be the last Winchester, or Browning gun, I will ever buy. Savage, Weatherby, and others, make better guns, anyway. I will just spend my time, telling everyone that I can, what a P.O.S. company, Winchester is, and how they are much better served, if they buy a different brand.
Were it not completely uncouth, to do so, I would publicly use the vulgarity, that equals telling Winchester to go fornicate with themselves.
I am done with Winchester, Browning, Olin, and anyone else associated with this debacle.

20g
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:11 pm
I can only imagine your frustration and truly feel your pain. Seems what used to be trusted American made products and service has taken a hike. I get hostile every time I must call a vendor's so-called customer service/support and start of my hopeless call with, "Press 1 for English". It gets worse after this.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:20 pm
Its an old story..customer service used to be a point of pride. I'm talking about the gunsmiths you dealt with. Winchester is history. I have old photos of the factory and hundreds of workers standing beside belt driven lathes wearing dress shirts and ties! Blaming those highly skilled men is like taking your edsel to a kid down the street for an oil change and blaming the manufacturer for him leaving the oil plug out.

Search online for a reputable gunsmith and enjoy your M100. It wasnt cheap when it was new..about $150 in the early 60's.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:04 pm
Decades ago I owned a couple of Winchester 22's, but only recently acquired a noisy one, yes it's a 100 in 308.
I like tinkering so have enjoyed giving it a well needed tidy up.
Always liked the look of the 100 but put off by reports of inaccuracy and mechanical gremlins.
Well I should have got one of these things years ago, it might have prevented several previous disappointed purchases.
It fits my just right, feels ergonomic and looks really pretty.
I have to put a spot of silicon on the ammo casing to help it eject, this may generate some forum feed back, but it works for me and smells nice.
To date I've only put 20 round down her on two different trips to the range. First trip I got the scope zeroed and found the ejection issue, last four rounds at 100 yards 2"left, zero, zero, 2" right. Second trip (After more tickering), all rounds ejected cleaning, last four rounds at 100 yards in a nice tight cluster.
Now I've got to go bush "an find me sume animulls".
I'm happy.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:16 pm
I appreciate any and all information on the Model 100 having just acquired one from an estate action. The rifle is chambered in the .308Win. Unfortunately, the recall firing pin had not been replaced. I took it out myself and mailed it in to Winchester and fixed it myself. There isn't a gunsmith in 3 counties that was willing to work on it.

She fired like a champ for a few days then started the dreaded slam firing...which is sad because the old Model 100 is extremely accurate from my limited bench rest testing. Going fully auto is simply not acceptable so now I'm stuck with what to do.

After contacting Wisner- they sent me to Nu Line Guns who will gladly have me mail my gun to them for them (*fee for mailing) to have them inspect (*fee for inspection) to find and fix hammer lock problems or more problems (*fee for the unknown). I was told they could get the trigger down to 3# pull. The trigger, as most of you know is awful!

I can get a brand new trigger assembly from Nu Line if I mail in my old one- for a whopping $25 core fee for $295. This old rifle is getting rather expensive to play with. I gave $575 for it with a crappy Redfield scope from probably the same year the rifle was built- 1967.

The only good thing is I now know how to tear her down and clean her properly and put back together- what a pain in the keister! Whoever designed the Model 100 must have been kin to the person who invented the hay baler...and like one person described it takes either three hands to break down or a small boy and a monkey!

Thanks for any and all help you might give me. The Winchester Model 100 is way off the cool charts for me. I own a Pre64 Model 70 in the .243 that I wouldn't take anything for- right now I'd just love to have my money back on this 100. But I will fight on to see what happens next.

Cheers!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:51 pm
Welcome WR, I'm also new here, due to having purchased a 100 in 308.
Getting parts out of the USA is near impossible, so down here we have to be innovative or make our own stuff.
To date I'm still using the original cylindrical firing pin, after all it's already 50 years old so can wait for me to getting around to making a more substantial replacement.
I have noted that the new pin has a flat mid section machined into it, if the flat has been milled a bit roughly the machine marks might catch on the elongated slot that it runs through.
Perhaps have a look at polishing the flat section with a stone and even look at the elongated slot as well.
I got my rifle from an old armorer who advised me to lubricate all moving parts with silicon spray rather than gun oil, it definitely frees up the mechanism.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm
Sheez......a bit of sadness in these 2 posts. However, I can appreciate owners that really try to save an early weapon. Hang in there. I have read worse cases in my years.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:40 pm
Good Luck .22LR!

redryder- as the kids say around here- "it is what it is" I wish I could report a fully functioning, no problems rifle- but alas that would neither be the truth nor fix my problem. Not to worry- other gun mfg facilities have produced other rogue weapons that make a man lose his religion. My plan is not to hurt myself or anyone else or I'll just have to make a conversation piece out of the thing.

I suspect the man who sold it to me knew "full" well what it was doing when he "unloaded" it on me. Puns all intended!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:38 pm
As a kid the only wheels available were British motor vehicles, troublesome rifles are nothing compared with the rubbish that the "Poms" off loaded onto us.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:20 pm
Guess what? It won't slam fire using 150grain. I also took it apart again and dried it real good. One Model 100 owner said to run it bone dry. There may be something to that. Accuracy is acceptable 1" at 100 meters. :D
I was using Fusion 150 grain soft points. I'll try some hand loads next.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:30 pm
Good news WR.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:01 pm
Yes it was a pleasant surprise 41st!

I plan to take some photos from the bench the next time and do a little blog on the venerable Model 100. It's time for some good press. If you check Gunbroker.com and other on line sales of the rifle- they are holding their own as far as I have seen. I know the 88's are more collectable, but the 100's aren't doing too shabby. I plan to hunt with mine- I never was too good at collecting stuff and not tinkering with it.

This will be the first place I share a coyote or deer harvest with mine. Cheers!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:14 pm
Last Sunday I went into heavy bush with mine and shot a Fallow.
Mud, rain, humidity etc. The old girl still went bang.
I already trust this rifle to be spot on at 200m, though I rarely get to shoot beyond 100m.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:45 pm
Congrats on the fallow 41st. Good to know you put the Winchester thru the paces and she delivered. In my area we do have bean field shots that one could take a 400-500 yard shot, but I plan to hunt the hardwood swamps and creeks with my Model 100.

So how long was your shot and how was the bullet placement? Running fallow or feeding? Happy meals ahead for you.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:48 pm
Hi WR,
I've started a new post in Hunting, in response to your question.
(Don't want to face the chance of being chastised for posting subject matter out of place). :)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:00 am
Thank You 41STH...

Return to Winchester Model 100