The Winchester Model 100

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:16 pm
I appreciate any and all information on the Model 100 having just acquired one from an estate action. The rifle is chambered in the .308Win. Unfortunately, the recall firing pin had not been replaced. I took it out myself and mailed it in to Winchester and fixed it myself. There isn't a gunsmith in 3 counties that was willing to work on it.

She fired like a champ for a few days then started the dreaded slam firing...which is sad because the old Model 100 is extremely accurate from my limited bench rest testing. Going fully auto is simply not acceptable so now I'm stuck with what to do.

After contacting Wisner- they sent me to Nu Line Guns who will gladly have me mail my gun to them for them (*fee for mailing) to have them inspect (*fee for inspection) to find and fix hammer lock problems or more problems (*fee for the unknown). I was told they could get the trigger down to 3# pull. The trigger, as most of you know is awful!

I can get a brand new trigger assembly from Nu Line if I mail in my old one- for a whopping $25 core fee for $295. This old rifle is getting rather expensive to play with. I gave $575 for it with a crappy Redfield scope from probably the same year the rifle was built- 1967.

The only good thing is I now know how to tear her down and clean her properly and put back together- what a pain in the keister! Whoever designed the Model 100 must have been kin to the person who invented the hay baler...and like one person described it takes either three hands to break down or a small boy and a monkey!

Thanks for any and all help you might give me. The Winchester Model 100 is way off the cool charts for me. I own a Pre64 Model 70 in the .243 that I wouldn't take anything for- right now I'd just love to have my money back on this 100. But I will fight on to see what happens next.

Cheers!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:51 pm
Welcome WR, I'm also new here, due to having purchased a 100 in 308.
Getting parts out of the USA is near impossible, so down here we have to be innovative or make our own stuff.
To date I'm still using the original cylindrical firing pin, after all it's already 50 years old so can wait for me to getting around to making a more substantial replacement.
I have noted that the new pin has a flat mid section machined into it, if the flat has been milled a bit roughly the machine marks might catch on the elongated slot that it runs through.
Perhaps have a look at polishing the flat section with a stone and even look at the elongated slot as well.
I got my rifle from an old armorer who advised me to lubricate all moving parts with silicon spray rather than gun oil, it definitely frees up the mechanism.
20g
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:22 pm
Sheez......a bit of sadness in these 2 posts. However, I can appreciate owners that really try to save an early weapon. Hang in there. I have read worse cases in my years.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:40 pm
Good Luck .22LR!

redryder- as the kids say around here- "it is what it is" I wish I could report a fully functioning, no problems rifle- but alas that would neither be the truth nor fix my problem. Not to worry- other gun mfg facilities have produced other rogue weapons that make a man lose his religion. My plan is not to hurt myself or anyone else or I'll just have to make a conversation piece out of the thing.

I suspect the man who sold it to me knew "full" well what it was doing when he "unloaded" it on me. Puns all intended!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:38 pm
As a kid the only wheels available were British motor vehicles, troublesome rifles are nothing compared with the rubbish that the "Poms" off loaded onto us.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:20 pm
Guess what? It won't slam fire using 150grain. I also took it apart again and dried it real good. One Model 100 owner said to run it bone dry. There may be something to that. Accuracy is acceptable 1" at 100 meters. :D
I was using Fusion 150 grain soft points. I'll try some hand loads next.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:30 pm
Good news WR.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:01 pm
Yes it was a pleasant surprise 41st!

I plan to take some photos from the bench the next time and do a little blog on the venerable Model 100. It's time for some good press. If you check Gunbroker.com and other on line sales of the rifle- they are holding their own as far as I have seen. I know the 88's are more collectable, but the 100's aren't doing too shabby. I plan to hunt with mine- I never was too good at collecting stuff and not tinkering with it.

This will be the first place I share a coyote or deer harvest with mine. Cheers!

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:14 pm
Last Sunday I went into heavy bush with mine and shot a Fallow.
Mud, rain, humidity etc. The old girl still went bang.
I already trust this rifle to be spot on at 200m, though I rarely get to shoot beyond 100m.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:45 pm
Congrats on the fallow 41st. Good to know you put the Winchester thru the paces and she delivered. In my area we do have bean field shots that one could take a 400-500 yard shot, but I plan to hunt the hardwood swamps and creeks with my Model 100.

So how long was your shot and how was the bullet placement? Running fallow or feeding? Happy meals ahead for you.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:48 pm
Hi WR,
I've started a new post in Hunting, in response to your question.
(Don't want to face the chance of being chastised for posting subject matter out of place). :)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:00 am
Thank You 41STH...

Return to Winchester Model 100