model 1893 shotgun

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:38 am
hi all, new member here.

i am hoping to find some information regarding the take down and cleaning of this shotgun. i've scoured the web and can only find info for the model 1897. i'm hoping someone here has the knowledge i seek. thanks!

130214_001.jpg
130214_001.jpg (195.12 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
dum spiro pugno
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:14 pm
Rare Winchester Model 1893 Shotgun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one gun that Winchester DID NOT want you to own! The 1893 pump action shotgun was a great gun and it was Winchester's very first pump action shotgun design. Unfortunately, it was caught in between two different technological eras...the end of the black powder age and the beginning of the new smokeless powder era. Since it was designed to be used with 12-gauge shells loaded with black powder ONLY, it must have really worried Winchester by the late 1890's/early 20th century as identical smokeless 12 gauge shells began to take over the market. Fearing injuries and lawsuits from smokeless shells being used in a black powder gun, Winchester began one of the earliest product recalls probably in American history by placing ads in various publications. By this point, Winchester had made over 30,000 Model 93's. The ads encouraged owners of the Winchester Model 1893's to send their guns back to Winchester in exchange for a brand new Model 1897 pump shotgun which had been re-designed for smokeless powder. Winchester destroyed every Model 1893 that was returned and that is probably what happened to most of them. Still, a few survive today and as long as the owners used them with black powder, were probably safe for many years of use.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am
thanks skinner-t, but that paragraph is all over the web. :lol: i guess i should have been clearer... i'm looking for information on the take down and cleaning of this shotgun.
dum spiro pugno

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 am
AnomDeGuerre wrote:hi all, new member here.

i am hoping to find some information regarding the take down and cleaning of this shotgun. i've scoured the web and can only find info for the model 1897. i'm hoping someone here has the knowledge i seek. thanks!

130214_001.jpg

I own one, fixed one & reblued one. I'm no expert on the this gun, but I can probably help. What are you waning to know?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:43 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Anom and slparay !!

Return to Winchester Model 1893