My Model 1897 12 Ga. Manufactured in 1913

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 am
Finally getting around to posting photos of my Model 1897 in 12 Ga., full choke, 30 inch barrel, takedown receiver with matching numbers, that was manufactured in 1913. Most if not all the bluing is gone with a brown patina taking over. Wood is in great condition still even though she is 103 years old now!

30,900 were made this year. 1897's were produced to 1957. I carried a Model 97 Trench gun in Germany in mid-80's topped off with the huge bayonet, 1917 model bayonet I think. We usually carried these on guard duty overseas, well at least in Berlin we did! We shot them frequently on the range as well. Absolutely love these shotguns, and although some try to make out like the exposed bolt when being chambered cut some people I never have nor seen this happen not one time!

These were coined America's first "favorite" shotgun! Held this distinction until it's demise in the late 50's. Beginning in 1917 they were branded and known as the Model 97. 16 Ga. models were produced from 1900 - 1950 as well.

Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 pm
Very nice Grunt...
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:42 pm
Thanks Shooter!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:30 pm
Another gun used as a tool with condition.

Levers and hammers and iron sights, oh my! are my favorite riggins.

The Wichester 97s we used by my Anti-Tank Company in Korea were not configured trench. They were called "Short Shotguns" with 20" barrels. Only attachment was a sling. Used for sentry duty and with tanks.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 pm
Whats funny is she is 103 years old and looks better than my Model 12 does! Another do I reblue or leave it issue as this will never leave the stable either!

These 1897's are my favorite shotguns all time. As a working gun not a closet queen.

The 97's I carried in Germany were Trench guns, and that pig sticker was absolutely huge! If I ever find a good Bayonet I am gonna snatch it up. I think they were M1917's I believe...memory :roll: .
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:51 pm
It looks a lot like my 16 gauge 28 inch made in the same year, except your wood is a lot nicer.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm
I know that this thread hasn't seen any traffic in nearly 6 months but that doesn't mean that new interest can't be generated! I'm replying since I've just started the process of refurbing/restoring practically the same gun! Same vintage, same model (TD) even the same state of bluing. The barrel on mine is 28" and has suffered some abuse at the hands of Bubba and a little bit of intentional maiming RE: damaged internals. See my "what to do..." post for details. The OP's gun is in MUCH better shape.
Anyway, the OP's 1897 appears to be in great shape save for the absent bluing. I'd be tempted to re-blue it and refinish the furniture. I know that they are "working" guns but I do like a good looking gun. RE: the 30" barrel, I thought mine was long at 28"! 30" with a FULL choke can really reach out there!
So, lets keep this subset of the discontinued shotguns alive and active.
Sleeper
20g
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:15 am
Thanks for bumping this thread sleeper. These neglected threads are still part of our forum heritage. We active members are few now with the hopes of reviving this comatose forum.

Occasionally I list the link to my collection in the signature space. Following a none specific time, I remove the link from the signature space. I have watches and small bladed edges, vintage toys, comics, movie theatre posters, etc not shown on the Internet page. To list everything, would require too much bandwidth.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 pm
That is a beautiful old shotgun! Though I don't have one a 16 ga. version was the very first shotgun I ever shot, still remember it almost 70 years ago.
Too old to be nice, never too old to learn!

Return to Winchester Model 1897