Ernest Hemingways Model 12s - HELP

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37 pm
I am one of the authors of "Hemingway's Guns - The Sporting Arms of Ernest Hemingway" by Shooting Sportsman Press (2010). In our ( Silvio Calabi, Steve Helsley, and Roger Sanger) book we describe two of EH's Model 12s - One was found but lost again. The other has never been found. Now we have discovered another Model 12. So, we are now putting this info in the forum in hopes that someone knows their whereabouts.
1. Winchester Model 12 12 gauge SN 525488, restocked now. Last known in New York
2. Winchester Model 12 12 gauge with Flex Choke, SN - unknown whereabouts since Idaho
Both of these are in our book. 1. was found but lost again as the owner sold it about 20 years ago. It would be one of EHs favorite guns. 2. was a Rudy Etchin gun that EH bought from a bell boy (who bought it from Rudy) in Sun Valley after 1. "wore out". Both are pictured in many photos of EH.
Now, we have found records form A&F that documents another one of EHs Model 12s. It is:
3. Winchester Model 12 12 gauge SN 600296 - a Tournament grade, vent rib, straight grip, extra forend. So far, no photos of this gun with EH have been discovered. He bought it from A&H in 1933. Based upon what EH guns are selling for today at auction or private sale, these guns have great collector value no matter what condition.

Any help would be appreciated. Roger Sanger email: rksanger@redshift.

Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm
Is that the Etchin Special which is pictured in Riffles book?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am
Unfortunately, I dont have Riffles book. The story we got in Sun Valley was that Rudy was a Remington 870 guy and when he got this Model 12 to test around the late 40s early 50s he did so and then sold it to a bell boy at the lodge who then sold it to Hemingway. Hemingway's previous Model 12 had "worn out" according to what he told his friends. The Etchin gun had the Flex Choke devise installed for Rudy to test. Unfortunately, there was no record of the SN. Hemingway called it his "whores dream" gun because of the choke system. What do you know about the Etchin Special? Could you scan the picture? Thanks Roger Sanger

Vendor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am
I wish I could scan and post it but I can't. At any rate I know who has that particular gun.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 am
Pauline,

I have sent you two personal emails and left a voice message. I sent you the original notation from the A & F ledger as well as Bob Beach's email about the entry. Bob is the historian at G & H who has all the A & F records. All of this documents the latest Hemingway Model 12 that Bob has found in the records.

Any information you have on any of the three Hemingway Model 12s would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Roger

Return to Winchester Model 1912