Acquired a Model 25 for the collection

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:57 pm
Finally received my Model 25 I have been waiting on. Serial number puts it at second year of production I believe. Unfortunately, Manufacture began in 1949 and was discontinued in 1954 after numbers passed 87,937. No records that I know of that break down serial number production per year. Not even my 4th Edition Red Book gives any info on dates besides what is known.

She is tight and locks up good and solid so she hasn't been messed with. Little bluing wear mostly on the edges and here and there on the barrel. Modified cylinder bore. Bore is nice and shiny no pitting anywhere inside or out.

Not a big following in the collector realms however with low numbers of production that could change over the years. I wanted one for the fact they are not many produced and you don't see that many of them.

Coined a "poor mans" Model 12, developed as a lower priced gun as dealers then complained about the high price of the Model 12. All Model 25's were solid frame no take down models, based upon the Model 12 action. Offered only in 12 gauge. Chokes were Full, Modified, and Improved Cylinder. Some guns below serial number 47,100 had 26 inch barrels with Improved Cylinder choke, however 28 inch barrels were standard. They did make a riot gun model with a 20 inch Improved Cylinder choke and sling swivels. Of course special orders with recoil pads and special sights could be ordered then as well. Steel front bead sights were standard, and receivers had matted sighting grooves standard. Hard rubber buttplates were standard. They didn't fair well as the Model 12 as we all know was coined "The Perfect Repeater" and production ended after five years.

Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:44 pm
Grunt that's a very nice piece. Looks parade ready. I like the model 12 almost as much as the 97.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:38 pm
As much as I like the 97 I like the 12 better because it is hammer less. These Model 25s of course aren't sought after so it seems but with only less than 88000 made in 5 years production that not a whole bunch of them. Just like a Model 12 to look at pretty much except solid receiver. She ain't to shabby.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am
Nice acquisition CWG...!!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:12 pm
Thanks Shooter! Now to find a nice Model 42 haha!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:09 pm
ColdWarGrunt wrote:Thanks Shooter! Now to find a nice Model 42 haha!

Beautiful gun. Congratulations and good luck ( you'll need it ) on the 42.

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun - Do Not Touch
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 pm
Eddie thanks! I got a first year (1954) Model 50 coming next week. The Model 42, I have one from 1949 scoped out all original gun, good blue and wood for not a shabby price. But they are plentiful, condition and price is the question!
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Winchester Model 25