Newly acquired First Year 1954 Model 50

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm
Picked it up yesterday. A first year (1954) production Model 50. Original bluing, which has worn on edges, places here and there but overall still very good condition. Furniture has been redone, one mark on left side of forearm, stock is in excellent condition, and has original butt plate. 12 Gauge Bore is Modified choke, and no pitting. Four digits serial number. No explanation but Winchester started serial numbers at 1000. She has been taken care of over the years. Got her for a good deal to boot. First Auto loader I have ever had. But with low serial number and condition, as well as price I couldn't pass her up. She feels solid and look forward to putting a few shells through her down the road!

This is an ad from 1954 the year they first produced/released the Model 50. I bought this ad actually about a month before I even found this particular Model 50. I like to buy old ads and frame them. So I threw it in here just for posterity.

Full length shot...

This shows a blemish actually a ding in the middle of the forearm. Only spot other than some small scratches on the bottom of the buttstock.

Next two photos show both sides in more detail. Checkering is sharp and crisp. Although furniture was redone it was done very well.

Remaining photos show various angles. If you look close enough you can see wear on the edges, some light scratches in the bluing here and there. Photos make it look better than it is but that doesn't mean by any means either that she is really in bad shape cause she isn't. She was well kept but used. Per the serial number this is the 1076 Model 50 produced, again in 1954.

Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:52 pm
Beautiful piece. The 1st YOP is desirable in most all neat things. You did good. Enjoy and pass on down your lineage.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:51 pm
Thanks Red Ryder! I have to say she IS a keeper! My Wife can't seem to understand first year production, low serial numbers and such. I guess because shoes and purses don't have them hahaha! :mrgreen: :lol:
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
20g
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:01 pm
I know what you mean. If I were to move my wife's shoes, purses and clothing, would need at least 2 26' Ya'll Hauls. Her only interest in the guns is, how much are they worth when she's widowed?
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:05 am
Nice score...1954 was the year I was born !
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 pm
Thanks Shooter! Ya got 9 years on me :roll:
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member

Return to Winchester Model 50