Model 250 bolt assembly

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm
Took my model 250 (owned over 40 yrs) to a gunsmith several yrs ago cause it had started occassionally misfiring. Gunsmith said he'd fixed it (think he filed fp), but I didn't try it out until recently. Misfired every 3rd or 4th shot. Light strikes. Way worse than before. Decided to disassemble it myself. The two small ball bearings (plungers) in the bolt are missing. I guess they fell out and the gunsmith didn't know where they went. That's my problem now. I have the replacement plungers, and fp (new), extractor and spring (new) out of bolt, but cannot see obvious location for plungers. I assume they locate between fp and extractor, but exactly where, and how do you get them fixed in place for reassembly? Help would be much appreciated. Nothing worse than a click when you've lined up that perfect shot.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:43 pm
I found the problem on my 250 to be that the barrel locking ring had worked loose. You must remove the feed tube and the forward grip. Once removed the ring can be tightened. This also solved the missfiring on my 180. A quick visual check is to look to see if you have any seperation between barreel and receiver.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:06 pm
You can find the assembly procedure for the bolt on,stevespages.com, look at the winchester model 190 on page 4 and 5. The 190 is the semi auto but bolt assembly is very close. Hope this helps.The web site is good to hang onto because it covers alot of firearms.

Return to Winchester Model 250