Winchester 1873 Very new to this

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Hello forum!

I would be very appreciative if anyone could tell me anything about this gun. I know it's a model 1873 Winchester and that's about it. I have a model number which I found behind the lever. It is 221301 (then what looks like a letter B).

From my limited research I found that this model number means it was manufactured in 1886. I think. The barrel is round and not octagon. I have no idea of caliber. I have no idea if it will fire or not. The barrel measures 23.5 inches. I don't know if this means I'm measuring incorrectly or if the barrel was cut down as my research shows the barrel should be 24 inches long.

I'm primarily interested in the value as I'm looking to sell it. Any help that the forum could provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:53 am
Welcome to the forum...

That number { 221301 (then what looks like a letter B) } is the "Serial" Number...

The "Model" Number is 1873...

The barrel should have the caliber on it...or at least it once did.

Referred to as the "Gun that Won the West", the Winchester model 1873 was manufactured in the following calibers: .44-40, .38-40 and .32-20.

It was originally chambered for the .44-40 cartridge, which was the first center fire cartridge and which became immensely popular. The 1873 was later produced in .38-40 and .32-20, all of which later became popular handgun cartridges of the day, allowing users to carry just one type of ammunition.

The Model 1873 was produced in four variations: a 24-inch barrel rifle, a 20-inch barrel carbine, and a "musket" - which was aimed at military contracts and only made up less than 5% of production.

(Musket was a term that, at the time, denoted a full length military-style stock, not to be confused with a true smoothbore musket).

The standard rifle-length version was most popular in the 19th century, although Winchester would make rifles to order in any configuration the customer wished, including longer barrels or baby carbines with barrels as short as 12 inches, octagonal-shaped barrels, color case hardened receivers and fancy engraving.

Modern replicas are offered in those calibers and also the .45 long colt, though it wasn't originally offered in that caliber.

Specifications

Manufactured between 1873 and 1923 {Originally}
Weight: 9.5lb (4.3kg)
Length: 49.3in (125.2cm)
Barrel length: 30in (76.2cm)
Caliber: .44-40 Winchester, .38-40 Winchester, .32-20 Winchester
Action: Lever-action
Feed system: 15 round tube magazine
Sights: Graduated rear sights, Fixed-post front sights

Value...or worth...is determined by many factors...Rarity...Condition...etc.

The Blue Book of Gun Values at any Book Store will be your best guide...

Gun Action sites are another good way to see what current prices are...but the rarity of your gun will make like firearms hard to find.

Good Luck...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:30 pm
Thank you for your help!

I have determined that the caliber is .32-20. The information you provided is very helpful. I will do some further research to try to determine condition. It looks 'fair' to me, but I'm certainly no expert. Thank you again for the help you have provided.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am
You are quite welcome sir...let us know how you make out.

Return to Winchester Model 1873