2011 .308 Stealth-2 Mod 70 1:12twist. 26"inch barrel. Loads

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 pm
Been back on the range using Vihtavouri N140 powder and 168gr Sierra Matchkings at .005/5thou off the lands/rifling. The O.A.L gauge was 2.288" with these so set up bullet seating die at 2.283" inch. Boy does this gun like these.

Best 5 shot circular group was 0.3" inch, all touching, at 100yds with 2 more 5shot groups at 0.4" inch, all at different powder weights. Am going to reload around these weights and revisit range for a shoot off to find best load/group and will post detailed figures then. Was also given some 185gr Bergers so tried these but was unable to get beyond 0.6" inch 5 shot group using 40.6 grains of N140, I guess I'm on the upper limit using these for a 1 in 12 twist but I've also got some 175gr Bergers so it will be interesting to see if they might present a tighter group as I drop the weight.

I'm sure all of this is well documented among more experienced shooters/reloaders but it's one thing reading it in a book but great fun going out there and learning it for yourself, I haven't had as much fun and personal interest in a subject for years.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am
Hello Ron, although I'm not a reloader, I read your narrative as if it were a drama novel. Very interesting and informative. Looking forward to your next read.
Last edited by redryder on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:26 am
Good write up...

I put some breaks ( paragraphs ) in it to make it easier to read.

Return to Ammunition