Need help to "Date" some 22 caliber Winchester ammo

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:45 pm
I found a few boxes of 22 cal ammo I have had for some time now. Can anyone help date this ammo by the boxes? I appreciate the help as I did search online but never could get and approximate date of manufacture. I was amazed of the empty boxes on eBay for sale and what some go for! Pics are below of three boxes. Thanks!

Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm
The red/blue/yellow boxes of Western Super-X "Extra Clean" "Wax Coated" lubaloy bullets are from the 1950's...

And the red/white boxes of Winchester Super-X are probably from like the 1990's...

Both are part of the Winchester-Western Divisions of the Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation...New Haven Conn. and East Alton, Ill.

If the packages have Lot codes on the flaps...that info can be called in and will have the exact date of manufacture.
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 pm
Thanks for the reply! I have had this ammo for all my life. The red/blue/yellow from the 50s wowsy, I knew they were old. I scarfed them up from my Dad years ago now. The red/whites boxes I may have bought I wanna say late 80's early 90's maybe. What about the yellow box? Yes they have Lot codes on the flaps. Call Winchester??
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:50 am
Yellow Box probably late 50's early 60's...

Yes...call / visit site for Winchester Ammo Division and ask who to talk to about those codes...

http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Support.aspx

Let us know...good luck !!
.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:41 am
Shooter13 you were spot on and their web page was helpful as well! I appreciate the help. I was even able to find out about old Remington 22 cal ammo I had as well. How I kept from shooting this stuff, especially as a kid in my youth years ago I have no clue. Just glad I had the foresight to stash it away. Def a bygone era now.
Noli Me Tangere

NRA Sustaining Member
WACA Member
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:23 am
Awesome...

Glad to help CWG !!

Return to Ammunition