Favorite upland game ammunition

Anything and everything related to ammunition can be posted here.

Moderator: Ridgerunner665

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:40 pm
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite factory ammo was for hunting upland game. In my case upland game is generally defined as "pheasant" and I know that is different for others as many of you are hunting the different species of grouse, chukars, quail, and the like, that I don’t often get into.

My current go to shot shells in both the 16 gauge and 20 are Fiocchi Golden Pheasants #5 or #6. Usually if I run into quail its while I’m hunting pheasant so the same loads are used. For a dedicated quail hunt I’ll use just about any 7 ½ load I can find, the same is true for dove.

I used to shoot a little of everything or whatever was on sale, but I think I’ve noticed a difference in the number of wounded birds vs dead right there, since I started shooting the GP a number of years ago. Additionally, I seem to notice when cleaning birds that the GP have better penetration than the standard lead shot. (sometimes I do use standard lead when I forget to order some GP :? )
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:52 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum NE M12 !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:25 am
I haven`t hunted birds in years but when I did it was super X #6

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:13 am
I hunt turkeys that as close as i get
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:16 pm
I have found that when hunting grouse here in Michigan or doves in Indiana, I turn to the same ammo I use when shooting skeet or sporting clays. In my Beretta 28ga O/U that is Winchester AA supersport 1300fps in 7.5s. If I am running my Beretta 426E SxS then I run either a AA or Federal Premium sporting clay load in 7.5s. I have been shooting Federal paper 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps shells this past year. I got a deal on several flats and there is something cool about shooting paper hulls in a nice SxS. :D

Brian
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:06 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum 375hh1973!!

Return to Ammunition