"Top Shot" (SEASON #3 2011)

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm
EPISODE #6

Turn the Corner

Premier Date: 09/13/2011

==================================================================

Contestants are shocked to see two Top Shot champions return as honorary captains for the team challenge. First Season Winner Ian Harrison guest captains the BLUE Team and Second Season Winner Chris Reed guest captains the RED Team, with each team sponsoring a designated charity who will stand to win $5000. BLUE Team's charity is the Wounded Warrior Project, and RED Team's charity is the Make A Wish Foundation. The Marksmen will compete with a just-released, ultra modern assault rifle and an Israeli made special forces gadget. Tensions flare when an argument erupts between two competitors on the same team.

The first Team Challenge involves using a newly released AR platform from VLTOR...the TS3. The competitors must run and shoot under stress between 5 platforms 16 feet apart, connected by ropes of various design...shooting at two targets set at 75 and 100 yards in front of each platform. The team that hits all their targets and transitions the fastest between the platforms ( fastest time total ) wins the challenge. RED Team goes first and burns up the course, finishing in 2 minutes and 27 seconds. The BLUE Team has a slow start when Billy takes 14 shots to hit the first two targets...then they pick up the pace a little and finish with a time of 3 minutes and 12 seconds. RED Team wins the challenge and the Make a Wish Foundation wins the $5000 prize donation.

WINNER: RED Team

=================================================================

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the BLUE Team are: Jake & Paul

( And Jake is pissed !! )

The BLUE Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using the Israeli made "Corner Shot"... which uses a platform designed to hold a Glock 18 in a frame that pivots around corners and uses a heads up video display to let the user stay hidden behind cover while negotiating the shot. The two contestants go one at a time as they run to 3 separate stations and engage 3 targets ( jars ) set at 35 feet around barriers...first left...then right...then through a opening above...the first contestant to hit all 9 targets the fastest wins the challenge. Paul goes first...runs to the first stage and hits the first target with the first shot, then hits the second target with the third shot and then the third target with the fifth shot. Then he scrambles to the second area...hitting his three targets in six shots...then runs to the third area and hits three for three...finishing with a time of 2:34.

Now it's Jakes turn...he scrambles up to the first stage and hits all 3 jars with just 3 shots...goes to the second stge and does the same...3 for 3...and then repeats it again 3 for 3...using unbelievable skill to win the challenge in only 48 seconds.

WINNER: Jake ( who takes out his frustrations on being nominated on his BLUE Teamates )

VLTOR TS3

ISRAELI CORNER SHOT

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm
So, what did everyone think of this weeks show ?!

They did say they got the very first VLTOR TS3's to use for the 1st team challenge...a flat top M4 platform setup with BUIS's.

And the Israeli made Corner Shot platform, holding a Glock 18 was an interesting design that I had first seen last year on the Military Channel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 pm
Anybody watch last night...!?

Anybody even care ?!

I watch the series to see the weapons and the competition...not the hype. Hell, I guess you could just go to the History Channel and look up the results...

If I'm wasting my time posting this event every week, just let me know...!!

I got plenty of time...but none to waste ! 8-)
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 pm
I care and i read these posts every time you post them, I am unable to watch the show so you are a big help.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am
OK...thanks Stags...Just didn't want to waste my time !

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:20 pm
I dont even know what time its on
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm
Your not dont worrrrrrry
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm
GUNNER_D wrote:I dont even know what time its on

Tuesday night...History Channel...10pm EST / 9pm C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 am
EPISODE #7

Tricked Out

Premier Date: 09/20/2011

A world famous pistol champion ( Jerry Miculek ) teaches teams some extremely difficult trick shots including shooting while blindfolded. The Blue Team is in disarray after team member Jake vows to go it alone. The elimination challenge features the classic cowboy skill of shooting from the hip.

* Before the practice sessions for the team challenge, Billy of the BLUE Team withdrew from the competition due to complications in his wife's pregnancy. Since this decision left the Red Team with one extra member, they were allowed to decide for themselves which player would be benched.

The first Team Challenge involves using a Smith & Wesson Model 686 in .38 caliber and a Volquartsen semi-automatic rifle in .22 caliber to pull off some trick shots at four stations. The first station the teams go head to head shooting the M686 holding the revolver upside down, and firing at 3 beer bottles from 30 feet. RED Team goes first with Gary going three for three, busting all the bottles. Then it's BLUE Teams turn, with Jake missing his first shot...thereby not having enough to win. RED team gets the point. Then it's BLUE Teams Dustin against RED Teams Bill firing the Volquartsen rifle at 3 cotton swabs from 25 feet...Dustin hitting 2 of the three swabs. Bill goes next and only hits 1 of the three...BLUE Team winning the point. Then it's RED Teams Mike versus Alex of the BLUE Team firing the rifle at 3 compact discs from 35 feet, trying to shoot through the center hole without breaking the plastic. Mike misses all three shots...while Alex hits 1 of three to win a point for the BLUE Team. The final station involves Mike of the BLUE and Cliff of the RED shooting the M686 revolver while blindfolded, firing 3 pairs of shots at 2 gallon jugs from 25 feet. Mike misses the first 2 shots, then Cliff misses the next two shots, then Mike goes again and misses two for two and then Cliff misses two for two until it's down to the last set of trys both teams. Mike steps up and squeezes off his two last shots...and hits both of the jugs dead on. Now, since the BLUE Team has 3 points to RED Teams 1 point...Cliff can't possibly win and does not get to shoot.

WINNER: RED Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Mike & Cliff

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using a Schofield Break Top Single Action Revolver...the 5" barreled Pinkerton Model...with one shooter at a time firing at 10 targets from 25 feet, shooting from the hip so that the bullets pass under a hitching rail. Shooters use two revolvers, each loaded with 5 rounds. Higher number of targets hit wins the challenge. Mike goes first and hits two out of ten plates. Cliff gets right to work and hits two for two with the first revolver then misses a few, then finishes strong with three more hits to win the challenge.

WINNER: Cliff ( 5 hits to Mike's 2 of 10 )

S&W Model 686

Volquartsen Semi Auto Rimfire

S&W Schofield SA Revolver

===================================================================
Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am
OK then...what's the consenses on this weeks show...

My thoughts...It's a shame that Billy of the BLUE Team had to leave, but...family comes first.

The fact the Jerry Miculek was training on the show was pretty cool...I've actually met and shook hands with him at the Smith & Wesson Shooting Sports Center in Springfield, Massachusetts back in 2005 while on travel for work. Real gentleman ...he just popped in while I was waiting in line at their store and I just said "Hey, Jerry !!"...and he walked right up and said good to meet you like a regular guy.

I really liked the firearms this time around...the S&W M686 L Frame .357 Magnum is a gun my brother owns and I have shot on ocassion. The S&W Model 3 Schofield Break Top revolver is something I've wanted ever since I saw the remake of 3:10 to Yuma...and that Volquartsen rimfire looked like a hell of an accurate rifle...I wouldn't mind owning one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 pm
Anybody else see the show yesterday...!?
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am
I did not how was it?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm
Bottom of Page 3... ;)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:27 am
EPISODE #8

RAMP IT UP

Premier Date: 09/27/2011

Contestants must master the Recurve Bow and nail a target by skipping an arrow off a ramp. One team goes to the brink of self-destructing when two teammates almost come to blows during a dispute of a previous elimination decision. There are only eight members left...four to a team.

The first Team Challenge involves the contestants firing at separate sets of 6 targets mounted on rotating wheels 50 feet away, trying to bounce arrows off a metal ramp to hit them. One player at a time per team; a player's turn ends after he has either fired 3 arrows or shot a target that has not yet been hit. First team to hit all of its targets wins. RED] Team's Phil is the first to hit a target and get a point on the board. Then Jake scores the first point for the BLUE Team. After that, the teams rotate back and forth scoring points until it's down to the wire...with Mike of the BLUE Team scoring the winning point.

WINNER: BLUE Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Chris & Cliff

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using the recurve bow again, this time from 20 yards, both players fire at 4 18" two-color targets moving back and forth at different heights. Player with more hits on his assigned color (including accidental hits by his opponent) after 3 minutes and 30 seconds wins. Chris is assigned the yellow and Cliff is assigned the orange targets. Chris is the first to hit a yellow target...and Chris jumps to an early lead, even tho a few of his arrows hit Cliff's orange targets, giving Cliff the point.
But, after going back and forth, both men doing well with the moving targets, it's Chris that jumps ahead to win.

WINNER: Chris ( Chris 15 -- Cliff 10 )

TONIGHTS WEAPON

RECURVE BOW

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am
OK...

Anyone have any thoughts on tonights competition...?!

And what did everyone think of the choice of weapon...?!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 pm
EPISODE #9

Stacked

Premier Date: 10/04/2011

The individual stage of the competition kicks off with the highly accurate McMillan TAC-50 Sniper Rifle. Taking aim at targets 500 yards downrange, one marksman has a meltdown and struggles to complete the individual challenge. In the elimination, it's all on the line for two competitors as they duke it out with a notorious WWII handgun...the Walther P-38.

The teams were dissolved at the start of this episode. All players received green shirts and began to compete directly against each other for the rest of the season. After the individual challenge, all players voted for one of the lowest performers. The top two vote-getters then competed in an elimination challenge as in earlier episodes.

The first Challenge involves shooting at a moving 30-inch target from 500 yards. The four fastest times to hit it are safe from elimination. Dustin, Jake, Phil, Alex get the fastest times and are saved from elimination.

LOSERS: Gary & Mike

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge are Gary & Mike

The Elimination event involves firing at separate sets of 36 targets from 35 feet, trying to break the connectors and drop the 8 planks attached to them. Players must work from the bottom up and are each given 30 rounds pre-loaded into magazines. First player to hit all targets and drop the planks wins. Gary wins...

LOSER: Mike

TONIGHTS WEAPON

McMillan TAC-50 Sniper Rifle

Walther P-38

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:20 pm
OK...so let's hear your thoughts on last nights episode, now that it's a green shirt...head to head contest.

And what are your thoughts on the weapons systems used...!?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:30 pm
I personally think that the show will be getting a little better, now that the herd has been culled.

As far as the weapons...I already own a P-38... a Walther / Spreewerk model with a 3 digit serial number from WWII. And she still shoots like she was made yesterday...

The McMillian ?...well, I dream of one day owning enough land with a mountain as a backstop, so that I can finally own a 50 cal. McMillian or Barrett would be in the top five choices... ;)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 pm
EPISODE #10

Odd Man Out

Premier Date: 10/11/2011

Competition speeds up when marksmen fire one of the fastest shooting handguns on the market. The vote at the nomination range provokes a drastic reaction from one of the shooters and a shocking turn of events leaves competitors stunned.

The first Challenge involves one shooter at a time firing at targets that randomly appear behind 12 4-inch holes in an 8-foot-diameter board wheel target at 35 feet. Each shooter gets 10 sets of random targets, 10 seconds per set. The three highest numbers of hits are safe from elimination; ties are broken by fewer rounds fired.

Jake resigned from the competition after being nominated. As the last individual shooter eliminated before him, Mike returned to compete alongside Phil in the elimination challenge

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge are Phil & Mike

The Elimination event involves the shooters using a kneeling position and a bipod, shooters fire at separate sets of 20 suspended light bulb targets set 75-100 yards away in a zigzag pattern. Each is given 2 pre-loaded 10-round magazines and must work from closest to farthest away. First to hit all of his own targets wins.

LOSER: Phil

TONIGHTS WEAPONS

SVI Infinity Site Tracker ( race gun )

Sako TRG rifle

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:05 pm
OK...the biggest new I guess is that ex-Navy Seal Jake walked out after being nominated once again for elimination...which brought back Mike, who eventually won and is back in the race.

Phil has now been eliminated...and all things considered was probably the weakest shooter out of those left anyway...always managing to squeak out a win.

The weapons used tonight were great...the SVI Infinity Sight Tracker in .40 caliber and the Sako TRG rifle in .338 Lapua.

What's everyone thoughts on tonights episode... !?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:44 pm
EPISODE #11

Wheel of Fire

Premier Date: 10/18/2011

The five remaining marksmen face one of the most difficult challenges in Top Shot history. Shooters will use the powerful and compact SP89 semi automatic pistol while moving through the air upside down. With the last spot in the final four up for grabs, one competitor amazes the group with a stunning performance at the elimination challenge.

The Individual Challenge involves one shooter at a time firing at a 35-foot-diameter ring of 20 targets from 35 feet, while strapped to the end of a vertically rotating 16-foot arm. Each shooter is given one full revolution of the arm to get up to speed, then must fire during a second revolution using one 28-round magazine. The two highest numbers of hits are safe from elimination; ties are broken by fewer rounds fired.

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge are Mike & Alex

The Elimination event involves firing at 20 ground targets placed among obstacles and debris while riding a zip-line backwards at 15 miles per hour. Higher number of hits wins.

LOSER: Alex

TONIGHTS WEAPONS

Heckler & Koch SP89 pistol (based on the MP5K submachine gun)

Steyr SPP 9x19mm pistol (based on the Steyr TMP)

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:46 pm
So...what are everyone's feelings on tonights episode ?!

I liked everything...the challenges were real cool...and tonights firearms were awesome !!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:49 pm
EPISODE #12

TOP SHOT Season 3 Finale

Premier Date: 10/25/2011

The Final Four marksmen set their sights on the $100,000 prize and the title of Top Shot. In a series of intense challenges, one shooter attempts an unprecedented shot with the AK-47, and contestants are eliminated one by one until there are only two left standing. The final challenge pushes two marksmen to their limits and a new champion is crowned.

The Elimination Challenge involves shooting a Glock 34 from 35 feet...two shooters at a time fire at 4 sets of 3 double-sided, moving targets. They have 45 seconds to flip as many as possible to their assigned color. The two first-round winners advance, with the losers competing against each other; the loser of this second round is eliminated.

The next Elimination challenge involves using handguns and rifles from past challenges...

Handguns:
Smith & Wesson Model 686 revolver, Infinity Sight Tracker race gun, Heckler & Koch SP89 pistol

Rifles:
Volquartsen .22 semiautomatic, AK-47, Winchester Model 1873

Two rounds are played, with each player choosing a weapon, target, stance, and distance in both; all three players try every shot. No weapon or target may be chosen more than once. After all six weapons have been used, the player with the fewest hits is eliminated. Targets available include golf balls, jugs, glasses, tin cans, and bottles.

The Final challenge involves running a course with 7 shooting stations...crawling through a 25-foot sand pit under barbed wire to reach the first one.

1. Use two Remingtons 1875's to hit 6 targets at 35 feet.
2. From 15 feet, throw rocks at a square grid of 9 glass panes until 3 in a row are broken.
3. Hit 10 jars at 40 yards with the Benelli shotgun.
4. Using the recurve bow, bounce an arrow off a metal ramp to hit a target 50 feet away.
5. Climb a pole to an 8-foot-high shooting platform, then shoot targets at 100/200 yards from the prone position with the LaRue.
6.Cross a rope to another platform and use the Vltor to hit targets at 75/100 yards while standing.
7. Shoot targets at 30/50/70 feet with the S&W 500.

First to complete the course wins.

TOP SHOT SEASON 3 WINNER: DUSTIN

TONIGHTS WEAPONS

Glock 34 9x19mm pistol

Smith & Wesson Model 686 revolver

Infinity Sight Tracker race gun

Heckler & Koch SP89 pistol

Volquartsen .22 semiautomatic

SAIGA AK-47

Winchester Model 1873

Remington Model 1875 revolver

Rocks

Benelli M4 Super 90 shotgun loaded with 1-oz slugs

Recurve bow

LaRue Tactical Optimized Battle Rifle

Vltor TS3 rifle

Smith & Wesson Model 500 revolver

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 pm
Well, I thought tonight's grand finale was an awesome contest between the finest competitors of the 3rd season...Chris, Gary, Mike, and Dustin.

Each of the final four deserved to be there...played a very good game right up until tonight's elimination...and were all Top Shots when it came to being men of true caliber !!

But in the end...only one could be left standing...and that man was a true gentleman...Dustin !

Congrats to him and his family !!

I'm already looking forward to Season #4...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:47 pm
So...What did you guys think of tonights grand finale...and of the winner: Dustin :!: :?:
Next

Return to Competition Shooting