"Top Shot" (SEASON #3 2011)

Anything and everything related to competition shooting (ie trap, skeet, etc) can be posted here.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 am
EPISODE #3

SLUG IT OUT

Premier Date: 08/23/2011

Shotgun skills are tested with a head-to-head speed shooting challenge. Leaders on both teams emerge and tension escalates. And an elimination challenge unlike any before...featuring an elaborate machine, a Glock 34, and a line of non-stop cannonballs.

The practice for both teams has them being shown the shotgun by Taran Butler...an IPSC, IDPA, USPSA and 3 Gun championship winner.

==========================

http://www.taranbutler.com/

===========================

The first Team Challenge involves shooting a Benelli M4 Super 90 12 Gauge semi-auto shotgun loaded with Remington 1oz slugs at a big rack of 50 mason jars set out at 40 yards. Both the RED and Blue Team members have to run up and shoot 5 slugs each at the jars then run back, then the next member of each team runs up and shoots 5 more slugs until one team wins by shooting all the jars on their rack.

WINNER: BLUE Team ( 50 to 31 )

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are Drew and Cliff.

The RED Team now moves to the Elimination event...which involves shooting a Glock 34 semi-auto 9mm pistol at cannonballs set to roll down a descending track with five steel plates set up at different intervals that must be hit in order for the balls to complete the route to the end and be counted as a point. Drew is a Glock pistol champ and Cliff is a revolver champ, but it's anyones game as they take turns shooting the challenge. Drew goes first and shoots well to drop 8 balls for as many points. Then it's Cliff's turn...smokin' the plates and dropping 18 balls for as many points to win the elimination event.

WINNER: Cliff

====================================================
Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:00 pm
So...what did everyone think about the firearms used in Episode #3...

==================================

Benelli M4 super 90 12 gauge

Glock 34 semi-auto 9mm

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

http://www.glock.com/english/glock34.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:34 pm
EPISODE #4

The Bulldog Gatling

Premier Date: 08/30/2011

==================================================================

The legendary Bulldog Gatling gun is introduced. But first the competition travels back to the Old West for a team challenge with a historic pistol...the Remington 1875 Outlaw. To stay in the competition two marksmen will shoot it out with a firearm considered by many to be the world's first practical machine gun.

The first Team Challenge involves firing a Remington 1875 revolver with both the RED and BLUE Teams going head to head shooting at die faces at 35 feet, the first one to hit the number of dots first drops a door on the others target thereby ending that round. Point for point and dot for dot, the team with the most cumulative targets hit and points scored before all the doors close wins the challenge. The BLUE Team wins the first round, the RED Team wins the second, the BLUE Team wins the third and fourth round, and the RED Team wins the fifth and six rounds...but in the end...the BLUE Team wins with the most points accumulated...with Dustin of the BLUE Team again outshooting his head to head opponent, Cliff, of the RED team at the end of the round.

WINNER: BLUE team ( 18-16 points )

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Mike & Mark

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event, which involves using a Bulldog Gatling Gun to literally chop down three 4" telegraph poles at 15-20-25 yards. Mike chops down the 15 yard pole first, with Mark a close second...then both Mike and Mark chop down the second post at 20 yards at the same time...then the final pole at 25 yards is shattered by Mike to win the competition.

WINNER: Mike

=================================================================
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 am
Thanks for all the updates Shooter.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm
Hey, no problem stags !! I post all across the boards...

What did you think of that Gatling Gun...nice huh ?!
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 pm
Very Very nice, i wish i could shoot one myself though........One day :D
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 pm
The only time I was even close to one was at the National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA...where the NRA is HQ'd
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:05 pm
EPISODE #5

Throwdown Showdown

Premier Date: 09/06/2011

Competitors endure some old school playground dynamics as the teams call each other out with primitive weapons...namely the tomahawk and knife. Also included is one of the earliest weapons known to man...the rock. In the elimination challenge, two shooters compete head to head with the largest, most powerful weapon ever used on Top Shot...the Hotchkiss Mountain Gun.

The first Team Challenge involves calling out players from the other team to go head to head at six stations. A coin is tossed and BLUE Team wins...with Jake calling out Chris using a tomahawk thrown at a pendulum blocked wooden target 13 feet away...3 tries per competitor...first one to get the most targets out of three tries wins a point for their team. Chris of the RED Team hits two out of three targets to win a point for the RED Team. Then it's Gary of RED calling out Jarrett of the BLUE Team and using the tomahawk again Jarrett misses three times and then Gary of the RED Team steps up and throws once to win another point for the RED Team. Then Gary of the RED Team calls Billy of the BLUE out using knifes thrown at targets 11 feet away with Billy of the BLUE Team hitting once and Gary missing all his throws to give the BLUE Team 1 point. Then it's Mike against Mike using the knife again...with Mike of the RED Team missing all of his shots and Mike of the BLUE Team hitting his last shot to score another point for the BLUE Team. Now it's tied up...2 points RED and 2 points BLUE. The last part of the challenge involves throwing rocks at 9 panes of glass...with any three panes touching to win the points. First up is Phil of RED Team versus Bill of BLUE...it goes back and forth until finally Phil of the RED Team wins the points. Then it's up to the last two contestants...Cliff of the RED Team and Dustin of the BLUE...both throwing rocks at six cans on a rail.
Dustin throws alot and misses more, but Cliff steps up and knocks can after can down until all six are gone and he wins it all for the RED Team...the points score is RED 8 and BLUE 3.

WINNER: RED Team ( 8 to 3 )

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the BLUE Team are: Jarrett & Mike

The BLUE Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves firing the historic Hotchkiss Mountain Gun...a breach loading 42mm cannon that fires a 2lb projectile of zinc...at six water towers, three for each team...at distances between 180 and 220 yards. Both Jarrett and Mike have 15 rounds each to hit their targets downrange. Jarrett is the first to hit a tank...then Mike hits his first...then Jarrett keeps missing and Mike keeps hitting until all his towers are blown away...and Mike is saved from elimination.

WINNER: Mike

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:10 pm
=============================================================

HOTCHKISS MOUNTAIN GUN

Model 1875... 42mm Rifled Barrel... 2 lb Projectile

==============================================================

The 1.65-inch (42 mm) gun and accessories could be packed on two mules. The gun was introduced as a modern replacement for the aging twelve-pound mountain howitzer. The first gun purchased by the U.S. military from the French arms firm of Hotchkiss was employed against the Nez Percés in 1877. Over the next twenty years the U.S. would purchase only 56 of the guns. They were used at the Wounded Knee Massacre in 1890, and again in Cuba for the attack on San Juan Hill in the Spanish–American War.

===============================================================
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm
============================================================

HOTCHKISS TECHNOTES:

Total Weight: 362 pounds
Range: 3500 yards (2miles)

GUN TUBE
Material: Steel
Total length of tube: 3.83 feet
Length of bore: 3.43 feet
Travel of projectile: 3.10 feet
Calibre: 1.65 inches
Weight: 121 pounds
Grooves: 10
Twist of Rifling, uniform: 1 in 29.83 cals.
Muzzle velocity: 1298 feet per second

CARRIAGE:
Material: Steel
Weight, complete: 241 pounds
Height of trunnion axis above ground: 27.55 inches
Diameter of wheels: 37.4 inches
Track of carriage: 2.46 feet

AMMUNITION:
The 1.65” Hotchkiss Mountain Gun fired two types of projectiles. A common shell, either base fused or nose fused or a canister. The common shell would explode on contact showering the enemy with jagged shell fragments. The canister would rip open at the muzzle spraying the enemy with a fan shaped pattern of hardened lead ½ inch balls. This projectile was used at close range. The early cartridge case did not have a primer. Instead there was a hole in the center covered internally with a diaphragm. The gun was fired by a friction primer inserted into the back of the breech housing.

=============================================================
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm
EPISODE #6

Turn the Corner

Premier Date: 09/13/2011

Contestants are shocked to see two Top Shot champions return as honorary captains for the team challenge. First Season Winner Ian Harrison guest captains the BLUE Team and Second Season Winner Chris Reed guest captains the RED Team, with each team sponsoring a designated charity who will stand to win $5000. BLUE Team's charity is the Wounded Warrior Project, and RED Team's charity is the Make A Wish Foundation. The Marksmen will compete with a just-released, ultra modern assault rifle and an Israeli made special forces gadget. Tensions flare when an argument erupts between two competitors on the same team.

The first Team Challenge involves using a newly released AR platform from VLTOR...the TS3. The competitors must run and shoot under stress between 5 platforms 16 feet apart, connected by ropes of various design...shooting at two targets set at 75 and 100 yards in front of each platform. The team that hits all their targets and transitions the fastest between the platforms ( fastest time total ) wins the challenge. RED Team goes first and burns up the course, finishing in 2 minutes and 27 seconds. The BLUE Team has a slow start when Billy takes 14 shots to hit the first two targets...then they pick up the pace a little and finish with a time of 3 minutes and 12 seconds. RED Team wins the challenge and the Make a Wish Foundation wins the $5000 prize donation.

WINNER: RED Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the BLUE Team are: Jake & Paul

( And Jake is pissed !! )

The BLUE Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using the Israeli made "Corner Shot"... which uses a platform designed to hold a Glock 18 in a frame that pivots around corners and uses a heads up video display to let the user stay hidden behind cover while negotiating the shot. The two contestants go one at a time as they run to 3 separate stations and engage 3 targets ( jars ) set at 35 feet around barriers...first left...then right...then through a opening above...the first contestant to hit all 9 targets the fastest wins the challenge. Paul goes first...runs to the first stage and hits the first target with the first shot, then hits the second target with the third shot and then the third target with the fifth shot. Then he scrambles to the second area...hitting his three targets in six shots...then runs to the third area and hits three for three...finishing with a time of 2:34.

Now it's Jakes turn...he scrambles up to the first stage and hits all 3 jars with just 3 shots...goes to the second stge and does the same...3 for 3...and then repeats it again 3 for 3...using unbelievable skill to win the challenge in only 48 seconds.

WINNER: Jake ( who takes out his frustrations on being nominated on his BLUE Teamates )

VLTOR TS3

ISRAELI CORNER SHOT

Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm
So, what did everyone think of this weeks show ?!

They did say they got the very first VLTOR TS3's to use for the 1st team challenge...a flat top M4 platform setup with BUIS's.

And the Israeli made Corner Shot platform, holding a Glock 18 was an interesting design that I had first seen last year on the Military Channel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 pm
Anybody watch last night...!?

Anybody even care ?!

I watch the series to see the weapons and the competition...not the hype. Hell, I guess you could just go to the History Channel and look up the results...

If I'm wasting my time posting this event every week, just let me know...!!

I got plenty of time...but none to waste ! 8-)
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:29 pm
I care and i read these posts every time you post them, I am unable to watch the show so you are a big help.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am
OK...thanks Stags...Just didn't want to waste my time !

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:20 pm
I dont even know what time its on
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm
Your not dont worrrrrrry
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm
GUNNER_D wrote:I dont even know what time its on

Tuesday night...History Channel...10pm EST / 9pm C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:54 am
EPISODE #7

Tricked Out

Premier Date: 09/20/2011

A world famous pistol champion ( Jerry Miculek ) teaches teams some extremely difficult trick shots including shooting while blindfolded. The Blue Team is in disarray after team member Jake vows to go it alone. The elimination challenge features the classic cowboy skill of shooting from the hip.

* Before the practice sessions for the team challenge, Billy of the BLUE Team withdrew from the competition due to complications in his wife's pregnancy. Since this decision left the Red Team with one extra member, they were allowed to decide for themselves which player would be benched.

The first Team Challenge involves using a Smith & Wesson Model 686 in .38 caliber and a Volquartsen semi-automatic rifle in .22 caliber to pull off some trick shots at four stations. The first station the teams go head to head shooting the M686 holding the revolver upside down, and firing at 3 beer bottles from 30 feet. RED Team goes first with Gary going three for three, busting all the bottles. Then it's BLUE Teams turn, with Jake missing his first shot...thereby not having enough to win. RED team gets the point. Then it's BLUE Teams Dustin against RED Teams Bill firing the Volquartsen rifle at 3 cotton swabs from 25 feet...Dustin hitting 2 of the three swabs. Bill goes next and only hits 1 of the three...BLUE Team winning the point. Then it's RED Teams Mike versus Alex of the BLUE Team firing the rifle at 3 compact discs from 35 feet, trying to shoot through the center hole without breaking the plastic. Mike misses all three shots...while Alex hits 1 of three to win a point for the BLUE Team. The final station involves Mike of the BLUE and Cliff of the RED shooting the M686 revolver while blindfolded, firing 3 pairs of shots at 2 gallon jugs from 25 feet. Mike misses the first 2 shots, then Cliff misses the next two shots, then Mike goes again and misses two for two and then Cliff misses two for two until it's down to the last set of trys both teams. Mike steps up and squeezes off his two last shots...and hits both of the jugs dead on. Now, since the BLUE Team has 3 points to RED Teams 1 point...Cliff can't possibly win and does not get to shoot.

WINNER: RED Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Mike & Cliff

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using a Schofield Break Top Single Action Revolver...the 5" barreled Pinkerton Model...with one shooter at a time firing at 10 targets from 25 feet, shooting from the hip so that the bullets pass under a hitching rail. Shooters use two revolvers, each loaded with 5 rounds. Higher number of targets hit wins the challenge. Mike goes first and hits two out of ten plates. Cliff gets right to work and hits two for two with the first revolver then misses a few, then finishes strong with three more hits to win the challenge.

WINNER: Cliff ( 5 hits to Mike's 2 of 10 )

S&W Model 686

Volquartsen Semi Auto Rimfire

S&W Schofield SA Revolver

===================================================================
Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am
OK then...what's the consenses on this weeks show...

My thoughts...It's a shame that Billy of the BLUE Team had to leave, but...family comes first.

The fact the Jerry Miculek was training on the show was pretty cool...I've actually met and shook hands with him at the Smith & Wesson Shooting Sports Center in Springfield, Massachusetts back in 2005 while on travel for work. Real gentleman ...he just popped in while I was waiting in line at their store and I just said "Hey, Jerry !!"...and he walked right up and said good to meet you like a regular guy.

I really liked the firearms this time around...the S&W M686 L Frame .357 Magnum is a gun my brother owns and I have shot on ocassion. The S&W Model 3 Schofield Break Top revolver is something I've wanted ever since I saw the remake of 3:10 to Yuma...and that Volquartsen rimfire looked like a hell of an accurate rifle...I wouldn't mind owning one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:48 pm
Anybody else see the show yesterday...!?
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 am
I did not how was it?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm
Bottom of Page 3... ;)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:27 am
EPISODE #8

RAMP IT UP

Premier Date: 09/27/2011

Contestants must master the Recurve Bow and nail a target by skipping an arrow off a ramp. One team goes to the brink of self-destructing when two teammates almost come to blows during a dispute of a previous elimination decision. There are only eight members left...four to a team.

The first Team Challenge involves the contestants firing at separate sets of 6 targets mounted on rotating wheels 50 feet away, trying to bounce arrows off a metal ramp to hit them. One player at a time per team; a player's turn ends after he has either fired 3 arrows or shot a target that has not yet been hit. First team to hit all of its targets wins. RED] Team's Phil is the first to hit a target and get a point on the board. Then Jake scores the first point for the BLUE Team. After that, the teams rotate back and forth scoring points until it's down to the wire...with Mike of the BLUE Team scoring the winning point.

WINNER: BLUE Team

The nomination picks for the Elimination challenge for the RED Team are: Chris & Cliff

The RED Team members now move on to the Elimination event which involves using the recurve bow again, this time from 20 yards, both players fire at 4 18" two-color targets moving back and forth at different heights. Player with more hits on his assigned color (including accidental hits by his opponent) after 3 minutes and 30 seconds wins. Chris is assigned the yellow and Cliff is assigned the orange targets. Chris is the first to hit a yellow target...and Chris jumps to an early lead, even tho a few of his arrows hit Cliff's orange targets, giving Cliff the point.
But, after going back and forth, both men doing well with the moving targets, it's Chris that jumps ahead to win.

WINNER: Chris ( Chris 15 -- Cliff 10 )

TONIGHTS WEAPON

RECURVE BOW

===================================================================
Last edited by SHOOTER13 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am
OK...

Anyone have any thoughts on tonights competition...?!

And what did everyone think of the choice of weapon...?!
Next

Return to Competition Shooting