Trouble with 42 Winchester

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm
I am working on a model 42 Winchester. I noticed something strange about it. If I were to dry fire the shotgun, the action bar is still locked afterwards, and I have to push forward on the forend to release it. Upon live firing, the inertia from the recoil accomplishes this. I even removed the bolt, cocked the hammer and let it down, and the action bar still remains locked by the latch, until I move the forend forward, relieving the tension, the the latch drops down, freeing the action bar. There seems to be considerable spring tension against the forend, when locked in battery. I fear that this tension is preventing the latch from dropping free from the action bar. On my exploded view, I see no spring shown inside the forend, providing this tension. I had been told that the 42's are supposed to be this way, even the Browning 42 Win reproductions, but I examined another 42, and it works normally. Any opinions or ideas on this problem?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum GB !!

Not an owner of this model, so I cannot help you...but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:40 pm
I took the plunge and carefully removed the forend and magazine tube. Around the magazine tube, inside the forend, I found a spring steel split washer, with the ends bent away from each other, putting rearward tension on the forend. I took a pair of vicegrips and reduced the amount of bend on this spring, which reduced the tension enough, allowing the action arm to unlock when uncocked. I must of guessed correctly, as the trouble is fixed.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting