Problem with Model 70 bolt

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:32 am
Hello Friends,

I hope this is the correct section to be posting this in. Mods, feel free to move this if it is not.

I have a bit of a problem, and I am seeking help; as I would REALLY like to get my rifle up and running again (while trying to also not have to spend an arm and a leg at a gunsmith's, if possible). So, I will try to explain this as coherently as possible. So, here we go:
To give an information base, the rifle is a post-'63 Model 70, chambered to .270 Winchester. I inherited it from my father, and after shooting it once; I decided to take it apart and do a really good detail cleaning, as it had been in storage for a while, and probably needed it (yes, I did a basic cleaning before I shot it). Now, on to the problem. As I was reassembling the bolt (I had unscrewed the front shroud to inspect the firing pin & firing pin spring assembly, and clean any built-up gunk out of it), I had the safety selector switch in the middle position (as per the manual's instruction); and as I was almost finished screwing the front shroud back on to the bolt, my finger slipped and hit the safety selector switch in to the "off safe" position. This caused me to not be able to continue screwing on the front shroud, and subsequently popped off the bolt take-down tab (and the spring that accompanies this). In addition to that, the safety selector switch is completely frozen and inoperable. Essentially, my bolt is screwed; rendering my rifle inoperable and unusable. Anyone else hear of and/or experience this? Any solutions or ideas for a repair?
I will include pictures for reference. If any additional information could be helpful; just let me know, and I will provide it as I am able to. Thanks in advance for any help or insight. Here are the photographs:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:44 pm
To get it apart and reassemble it correctly you need to pull the firing pin back. To do that you need to hook the tab on something pull it back and unscrew the bolt, you may be able to lock the pin back with the safety. There is a video on the net on how to do this with a Rem 700 and you boot laces. With the safety in the wrong position the push feed M70 bolt will be much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uY-w9Y6oY#!
Regards,
Guy Smith

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 am
Thank you smith, very much obliged. I will give the video a watch, then try my hand. I greatly appreciate the help.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:59 am
OK, update.

With slight modification in technique to fit the Model 70 bolt, the bootlace trick worked. Thanks again to smith357 are in order.
I have gotten the bolt apart. Now, I have to figure out what pieces are required to fix the takedown tab/button (picture attached below), and take the bolt apart and repair it. Anyone know of a write-up/DIY on doing this?

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 pm
Is it fixed yet? If not the only approach I can suggest is for a gunsmith to replace the parts or send the assembly to Winchester for them to replace them. Shouldn't really be that big of a deal but as I've never had that issue I cannot suggest how to do it yourself. If done by the factory the work would be guaranteed as it would if done by a reputable gunsmith.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:59 am
UPDATE:
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to share this for anyone else that may run in to this problem in the future: I FINALLY fixed my Model 70. I scoured high and low for the breech bolt sleeve lock, to no avail. Contacted Winchester, they no longer manufacture it and have none left in stock. Searched Brownell's, Midway, Numrich Gun Parts, nothing. Found a place online that specializes in machining obsolete Winchester parts, called Weisner's Inc., and even they didn't have any in stock because there wasn't a demand for them. HOWEVER, the proprietor of that site did tell me that you can substitute the breech bolt tab from a Marlin (Brownells part # 550-000-035AH) is very similar to the one used on Model 70 rifles. He said it was a little longer than the Winchester part, so it would need to be fitted; but it dropped right in to my bolt, no problem (your milage may vary). I had already ordered the spring and retaining pin from Numrich Gun Parts (http://www.gunpartscorp.com), then ordered the breech bolt lock from Brownell's, as well as the Winchester 70 Takedown Guide published by Radocy; and was able to repair everything. I even managed to get her cleaned, the bore de-fouled & everything lubed; and even managed to get the scope zeroed in 2 weekends ago. The bolt handle needs to be reblued, but other than that, she is working flawlessly.
So, if anyone else runs in to this problem, and needs to find a breech bolt locking tab for their post-64, pre - redesign Model 70, go to Brownells and order part # 550-000-035AH. If you are looking for other hard to source and obsolete Winchester parts, or obsolete firearms parts in general, check out Weisner's Inc. (http://www.wisnersinc.com).
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:41 pm
Congrats...good job !!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting