Winchester Sx3 3" Break in period

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:27 pm
Hello guys & gals,

Well in a few days (hopefully) I pick up my new Winchester SX3 Black Shadow. I've been making a study out of the manual over this past week and am getting very familiar with breaking the gun down, cleaning it, reassembly etc.

However, I've not seen anything in the manual related to any sort of proper break in procedures and I've been reading here and there on the net that people suggest breaking the Sx3 in with 3" loads (as per the version I'm buying has a 3" chamber) for about the first 25-50 rounds, just to get the action broken in properly.

I plan on shooting skeet and trap using the proper 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz lead loads, but the only 3" loads I can find on the net are all steel. Is there such a thing as 3" lead or can this shotgun fire both lead and steel loads?

Again, this info seems to be elusive to me thus far and admittedly I'm not quite literate (yet) when it comes to shotgun ammo. But am learning. ;)

I also apologize if this is in the wrong section - was a tough pick between the ammo section and firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting. ;)

Cheers,

B1

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm
I recently bought a 3 1/2 inch SX3. I broke it in by shooting four rounds of skeet using light 1 1/8 ounce reloads and had no issues at all. I did thoroughly clean the gun and lightly lube it with CLP before I went to the club. I don't think you'll have issues with target loads. Good luck.
Last edited by p.d. on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:01 pm
Thanks p.d.

Sounds sensible enough, especially since the manual makes no mention of any particular round for break in, (or any type of break in at all for that matter) but does hammer home cleaning the gun properly before first use. ;)

**edit** btw - since you mention CLP, is there a need for a solvent since CLP is advertised as being a cleaner and a lubricant?

Cheers,

B1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm
b1m2d3 wrote:Hello guys & gals,

Well in a few days (hopefully) I pick up my new Winchester SX3 Black Shadow. I've been making a study out of the manual over this past week and am getting very familiar with breaking the gun down, cleaning it, reassembly etc.

However, I've not seen anything in the manual related to any sort of proper break in procedures and I've been reading here and there on the net that people suggest breaking the Sx3 in with 3" loads (as per the version I'm buying has a 3" chamber) for about the first 25-50 rounds, just to get the action broken in properly.

I plan on shooting skeet and trap using the proper 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz lead loads, but the only 3" loads I can find on the net are all steel. Is there such a thing as 3" lead or can this shotgun fire both lead and steel loads?

Again, this info seems to be elusive to me thus far and admittedly I'm not quite literate (yet) when it comes to shotgun ammo. But am learning. ;)

I also apologize if this is in the wrong section - was a tough pick between the ammo section and firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting. ;)

Cheers,

B1

I have the 3-1/2" MODB model, Its no problem to fire lead or steel shot in your 3" SX3. My dealer suggested the following for a good break in:
First perform a full cleaning to remove all packing and assembly grease before using it for the first time. After cleaning, apply a good quality gun oil (I use FP-10) to all moving parts. For your first use, put 25 rounds of 3" field loads through it before attempting to use any lighter target rounds. Breaking it in like this will help to fully cycle the gas piston and action helping to smooth out any roughness between the contact surfaces of the newly assembled moving parts. I was told that I might have cycling problems using anything lighter than 1-1/8 oz. field loads in the 3-1/2" chambered model. I have used it for skeet shooting and have fired thousands of 1-1/8 oz. target loads without any problems. I recently even tried some 7/8 oz. cheap target loads from and it fired them with no cycling issues. You will most likely find that the more you use it, the smoother it operates. A 3" model will most likey digest anything you feed it after a it of use !

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting