Adjusting Trigger Model 70 featherweight

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:09 pm
I want to know... if I remove the adjustment screw will the trigger remain at its supposed 3lb setting permanently. Is there any problem in doing this. I would prefer 3lb as the pressure but it says the screw will fall out at 3lbs.
I am new to this site but proud owner of this fine gun and want to make sure it is safe to use without the screw
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm
I'm not an expert on these triggers, but here's my 2 cents.....
It is probably dangerous to remove the tension adjustment screw completely. Without any tension on the adjustment spring, it leaves only the trigger to sear tension to prevent firing. I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith for further adjustment if you find that you can't get the desired trigger pull without completely removing the tension screw.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 pm
Hey, thanks for that. The book says the screw can fall out if too loose but once it has tension off the sear it does not seem to do anything. Guess you are right I need a gunsmith to let me know whats what.

Cheers from New Zealand.
Administrator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 am
I know on my Remington model 700 I have the screw removed but I do not have a definitive answer on the Winchester model 70 yet. I will keep digging and if you get an answer please let us know!.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Thanks for that, I guess winchester engineers could probably answer this. If I get a definitive answer I will post it. With the screw removed I cant see a problem but.......would be good to know????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 am
Sounds to me like the trigger to sear tension is probably too strong. You should be able to adjust your trigger pull to any set point within the designed range without removing the adjustment screw completely. You could have a gunsmith adjust the trigger to sear tension by honing the sear, once it is set correctly, then you should have a full range of adjustment with the adjustment screw still in place. This might be a better and safer option than just removing the screw, keeping the screw in place would also keep the option open for you to make future adjustments as required.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:40 pm
Thanks for that.
The confussion arises because the manuel states the adjustment can be made from 5 down to 3lbs. It then goes on to say that at 3lbs the screw will fall out. Is that telling me that its okay to leave it out. A bit strange.... Winchester engineers not much help as they say better to leave the screw in in case the actuator spring should come lose.
Oh well, life will go on at 3.5 lbs I guess. Of course I could buy a different trigger but if winchester say it can be adjusted to 3lbs then how does one do it and leave the screw in????
Cheers, Bill.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting