Winchester Model 94 Golden Spike Commemorative Wont Fire

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 pm
Hi, I have a Winchester Model 94 Lever action 30-30. It is the golden spike commemorative. Anyway, It was never used that much, and I had not shot it in years. I tried shooting it today, and it won't fire. Everything is working fine, it just wont fire the shell. It feeds and everything fine, it just won't fire the bullet. Does anyone know what could all of a sudden be wrong with it? The last time I shot it years ago, it worked just fine. Please let me know of what could be wrong. Thanks in advance for any help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 am
It sounds like it could be a badly rusted or stuck firing pin???? What do the primer strikes look like on the "fired on" shells? Ammunition is usually ok for years.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm
Hi, this gun has been taken care of very well. There is no rust inside or out, and lubed good. When I try to fire it, and inspect the bullet, the primer cap does have a slight indention, but the firing pin is not hitting hard enough to fire. The trigger spring seems to be good and tight. Any other thoughts? I also tried some new ammo, and it still wont shoot. Just not hitting hard enough.
.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:18 pm
Hi,

Your gun, in fact any gun, which has not been fired in years, is always in need of a good thorough cleaning before use. I have encountered this problem before in stored guns. Usually the issue is that the lubricant has gummed up, and caused moving parts to stick and no longer function. DANGER. Don't try to shoot this gun again until it is cleaned and inspected.

If you know how, take it completely apart and clean everything properly, then assemble. If you don't, then take it to your local gunsmith.

Good luck!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting