Winchester 190 .22 Problem cleaning ejector/trigger assy

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 am
Hello guys and girls,

I recently purchased a Winchester 190 .22 from a pawn shop. I had to buy the wife a new case for her shotgun, and I stumbled across this 190 .22 for $50. Fairly good shape, signs of wear, but nothing ugly. That was a pretty darn good deal, and I used to have a Marlin .22 I loved when I was a kid, so I went ahead and picked it up. I get it home and fire off 2 shots of rim fire just to see how loud it was, when I shot the first round, as the shell ejected, the 2nd one jammed up into the bolt. I mess around with it alittle and notice that if I slowly pull on the calking handle to chamber a round, then with my hand slowly letting the recoil spring close, the bolt would hang up in the middle no matter if I was loaded, or if the gun was unloaded. So I pull it apart and clean everything shiny because this rifle was absolutely nasty dirty like someones been dragging it through sand. I had to use CRC Brake Clean to let it soak for a bit just to be able to scrub with a toothbrush if that gives you an idea how nasty it was. So after 1 whole bottle of CRC break free and half a bottle of hoppes, half a box of q tips, and about 50 patches later it was de gunked. (No Joke, it NEEDED EVERY bit of it) I used Q Tips to clean as much as I could of the trigger assembly/ejector, but I know I couldnt get everything, and I am not a gunsmith and I am scared of pulling it apart. Finally get everything back together, load 16 rounds. first 2 shoot great, 3rd jams, 5 perfect, then jam/chops off half of bullet. So I pull the trigger assembly out, put some tension on the bolt and pull back on the calking handle, and it is free and clear, with no struggle at all. So I have narrowed it down to the trigger assembly. This thing is gunked out, and I have no idea what I can soak it in without pulling it apart. What can you recommend I can soak the trigger assembly in for a few days to get all the crap out of it? Or please let me know what I am doing wrong. I am using Winchester Super X .22 long rifle plated round nose ammo.

Thanks much!

-Brandon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

WD-40 or brake cleaner...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:17 pm
Someone suggested in another post to use WD-40, followed by a blow out with compressed air all around inside. Sounded like a decent idea.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting