Winchester 1300 12ga. Troubleshooting

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm
Updated: See bottom of page.

Good evening everybody! I'll try to make this post as short as possible while still getting the point across, so please, bear with me. Recently, I have acquired a Winchester model 1300 12ga. that I purchased for the price of $100.00. I figured, if I would be able to fix this shotgun, I'd make my initial investment back and then some, and if nothing else another firearm for my personal collection, so I went for it. I know nothing of this firearm's history, except I knew the previous owner who had sent it to me in the first place to try and repair (I'm the go-to guy around here for that sort of thing). The way he had explained the problem to me was that he simply could not recycle the action after firing a shot. I figured, pump action, very simple design, this should be easy. It's now about 2 months after I purchased it from the previous owner, and still the problem persists. I can cycle the shotgun all I want, it'll release a cartridge from the magazine tube, the lifter will...well...lift, and the cartridge will be fed into the chamber smooth as butter. However, to go further into detail about the problem, once I fire a single shot, the entire action locks solid. I don't mean it just needs a bit of oil (which it's seen plenty of), I mean it is LOCKED. Just trying to extract/eject the empty shell hull is like trying to move a boulder over a cliff it's locked so solid. The only way to extract the shell is to field strip the firearm. I've disassembled, reassembled, inspected, etc. to no avail. I see absolutely NO reason for this to be happening. I've tried manually inserting used and unused shells into the barrel when separated from the receiver, which works fine. Again, smooth as butter. Someone has suggested on another forum that perhaps the slide release isn't fully disengaging after I fire a shot, but from what I can tell, it functions flawlessly. Okay, so, if any of you have any ideas whatsoever, I'd be glad to give them a try and get this thing fixed. I essentially have a single shot 12ga that takes longer than a muzzleloader to reload. :D

Thanks everybody for taking time to read this!

~Forsaken
Last edited by forsaken352 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mossberg 500 Persuader - 18.5" cyl bore, parkerized (under construction)
Saiga 12 - 19" threaded bbl - cyl bore, Romanian wire side folder, self converted
Winchester 1300 - 28" bbl, modified choke, synthetic furniture
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 pm
Are you able to take any pictures of the firearm so that maybe we can see something that is broken or damaged? I do not have an answer to your problem at the moment but I am hoping maybe some pictures will help shed some light.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:23 pm
DHonovich wrote:Are you able to take any pictures of the firearm so that maybe we can see something that is broken or damaged? I do not have an answer to your problem at the moment but I am hoping maybe some pictures will help shed some light.

Not at the moment, but I'll see if I can get something together...I need to also find out how to post them. I read how to earlier, but I'll have to check back.
Saiga 12 - 19" threaded bbl - cyl bore, Romanian wire side folder, self converted
Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 am
Okay! Sorry it took so long, had to find the camera, find the battery, find the memory card...Then had to deal with some real poor lighting conditions (A ceiling fan light and it's dark outside). However, I believe I may have managed to bring some pictures I believe were the best of the bunch. I don't know if these will help at all, but here they are. I'll label each one in numerical order to help with quick referencing. Hopefully they work! Also, my pictures got a bit scrambled through the process, so in no particular order...

One thing I did notice about the shotgun is that the bolt fully seats only when applying forward pressure on the slide. If you look closely, you can see a slight gap where you can see the bolt head.
1. Image
Ejector..
2. Image
Receiver rails on the ejector side...
3. Image
Rails on ejection port side...
4. Image
Self explanatory..
5. Image
In this one, I tried to lock the bolt lugs into the bore, but it wasn't fully seated due to camera in one hand and spring tension in the other.
6. Image
Some loaded super-X...Slips right in and right out of the chamber...
7. Image
Even when used cartridges are inserted and extracted, it's like butter.
8. Image
Bolt and bolt carrier.
9. Image
Underside..
10. Image
I would have further disassembled, but it's a pain to get the cam pin back in..
11. Image
One of the fire control group..
12. Image
Better picture...Hammer de-cocked..
13. Image
From the side...
14. Image
Another from the side with the lifter...Well...Lifted...
15. Image
And lastly, one of the chamber and lugs..
16. Image

Sorry to flood the page with pictures, but again, I didn't want to leave anything out. If you need a close up of something else, let me know! If my terminology is slightly...Off..I apologize, it's quite late.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:15 am
Sounds like the bolt isn't rotating and allowing the bolt to release. I had an AR 10 that wouldn't always release. I had to take a tiny flat blade screwdriver to help rotate the bolt. It was still in the break-in phase. I know they are unrelated firearms. Just my 2ยข.:)

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 pm
You know, I had the same thought. I'm gonna try to run a couple of shells through tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find the culprit.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:48 am
forsaken352 wrote:You know, I had the same thought. I'm gonna try to run a couple of shells through tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get lucky and find the culprit.

Well??????
Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:33 pm
Alright everyone, time to revive a dead thread! Sorry for taking so long to get back, just been somewhat busy and just put this shotgun on the back burners. Now, everything that was happening months ago, well it's still in the exact same condition. I don't remember if I ran shells through as I said in the previous post I was going to do, however, I did run empty shell hulls through just to see if it would cycle them. The Winchester 7 1/2 walmart value pack hulls run through, but when I threw a Remington (looks like #6 or 8? ((it's faded))), both 2 3/4" with the Remington being high brass, it didn't even lock the bolt all the way. It was about a 1/2" from being in full battery. I know this isn't really a great test, but I wonder if it's got something to do with tight chamber tolerances, and perhaps when I fire a shot, if the shell expands to the chamber so much that it won't cycle? However, it only happens when the firearm is fully assembled, as you can see from the picture above, I can insert loaded or used shells into the chamber with the barrel removed. Only when I throw them through the ejection port and try to chamber them, they sometimes fail. Confused yet? I am. :? I'll see about running some shots through later today or tomorrow and I'll give a range report. Until then, feel free to give me and ideas based on this or the previous posts as to what you may think is going on. Thank you for your time everybody!
Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:46 am
Hello again everyone! Yesterday I FINALLY got back to working on the 1300. Yes, I'm STILL having this lockup issue! However, a few days ago, I was at a friends house and his brother asked me to clean his gun again for him, and I instantly realized it was another Winchester 1300. I immediately asked if I could use his to swap parts around, and I was able to then narrow it down to something in my trigger group. As soon as I swapped trigger assemblies, I fired 2 shots which both extracted/ejected flawlessly. So, I went back indoors, began stripping it down to compare trigger assemblies side by side to see if perhaps I could find the problem. I have completely stripped my trigger group, inspected, re-assembled, and found NOTHING. So, here are the pictures, let me know what you see.

Mine is the one on the left of this picture. Friend's right.

Mine left, friend's right.

One thing I did notice was this little tab. You can see it is curved on mine whereas his is straight. However, it doesn't look as if though it was bent, because the portion just infront would have been buggered up as well.

Mine top. His bottom.

Mine top. His bottom.

And last one just kind of another covering all the internals, hammers up.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting