to restore or leave it be.. i need some advice

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:56 am
So I picked up a model 94 ranger.compact. for.something I can pass.down to my son and he can pass to his ect ect. I have no idea of its age but looks to be made in late 60s or.early 70s. Sn is 403xxxxx. The finish is lightly pitted and there's some small patches of rust on the barrell and there's a bunch of orangish brownish crap covering the barrell and tube and reciever I can't tell if its patina or rust. There's some.nice scratches on the barrell that looks like a saw brushed up against it and scratches on the reciever from a scope mount. Ok so I don't know if I should strip it alo down and re blue it or just let it be. I want it to look pretty but also don't want it to loose any value it might have or have in the future. What should I do? Anyone know how old it is? I could realy use some advice

Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm
I wouldn't worry about losing value. It is too new to be collectable. It might be a bit pricey to have all of that redone by a professional. Try cleaning up what you can yourself and see how it looks.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 am
Well I saturated the entire thing with ballistiol and let it sit for 48 hours and wiped it down and got a lot of built up grime off. Tryed a lil oooo steel wool to the rust patch and didn't rub hard but it started taking off patina with the rust. So I stopped. I know it wouldn't have any collectors value now but what I was worried about was its value in about 30 to 40 years. I Have all the stuff to re blue it on hand. I was hearing that the recievers can't be re blued do you know if that's true? . So I know it will loose any future collector's value if I restore it but I'm thinking that if I let it be the way it is that it wont.have any value anyway. Am I correct? I just need some re enforcement on my decision

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting