How To Refinish Black Plastic Forend Piece On Model 70

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 pm
I bought this Model 70, 30-06 new about 1973. It's in MINT condition other than for the black plastic forend piece where the finish (varnish?) has bubbled up. I see this condition all the time. It looks like there are only 3 screws to remove the stock so I figured I'd do that, get that original finish off somehow (it's a small area & I can literally scrape it off with my fingernail so I think I may be able to scrape it off with a sharp scraper), maybe steel wool it smooth & then apply a spray or wipe-on finish. The black is flat black where the finish has come off but is shinier black where it remains. Any ideas on this project would be appreciated.

Another thought might be to just replace that forend cap if I could find someone who sells them. Also, the black plastic cap on the pistol grip could use some work as well.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:45 am
Went to the automotive store & bought some wet/dry sand paper. Stripped the varnish off with a scraper, started sanding with 220 grit & worked my way up to I think it was 2400 grit. Polished it with polishing compound. LOOKS GREAT! ! !!! Some might wanna finish with Fletz polishing compound but it looks fine as is.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 pm
When I got my 70s era M70 the finish on the wood was pretty poor, and the white spacers and black plastic parts at the fore end tip and pistol grip cap had shrunk. I stripped off the old finish with Formby's Furniture re-finisher the leveled the wood to the plastic with a fine mill file. I used 4-600 grit paper to smooth it out and then refinished with a few coats of tung oil, masking off the checkering, but going right over the plastic. I then diluted some tung oil 50-50 with mineral spirits and brushed a light coat into the checkering.

Regards,
Guy Smith

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting