How To Repair Micro Fine Marks On Model 70 Clear Coat

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm
I have this Winchester 30-06 I bought new about 1974 that's stock is nearly MINT. It has some very fine marks on the clear coat finish on the wood that do not go beneath the clear coat. I've read where Markron's Gun Stock Scratch Eraser or one of the Kramer's antique refinishing products (probably their basic one) may take out these marks. I can do it by hand or I have a two-handed 5" electric car polisher I could use. Any ideas? I think this may be the "Deluxe" variation of the model 70, but I'm not sure. I'll try to post some pics. Also, can anyone tell me its value? Thanks.
Attachments
030_zps3006acc3[1].jpg
030_zps3006acc3[1].jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
014_zpsd640eb1c[1].jpg
014_zpsd640eb1c[1].jpg (26.56 KiB) Viewed 8610 times
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Awesome looking rifle xpg6 !!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 am
I wouldnt use the car polisher, the heat it generates may cause the finish to flake. You will probably get the best results using a very fine automotive polishing compound or a stock sheen and conditioner like the birchwood casey product. Then apply a good coat of finishing wax to protect it. I would only do work like this by hand. You still need to be extra careful of the checkering

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:09 pm
Yep, I agree SHOOTER13, it is an awesome looking rifle. This is what happens when you get about 19 years old after having read Sports Afield or Field & Stream or one of the NRA mags each issue from the time you were maybe 12. You see all these gorgeous rifles & you gotta own one! This was my 1st pick in a firearm after a 16 gauge Mossberg pump I bought @ about 13...already had the .22 rifle...inherited that one from pops maybe a yr. earlier than getting the dbl-deuce. Wasn't into handguns but just had to have this rifle. Blame it on the sporting mags! Shot maybe 50 rounds max...sat cleaned/oiled in the gun cabinet all those years coming out whenever guests wanted to take a peak @ her or whenever I just got the notion. And believe it or not I almost always wore cotton gloves anytime I handled the girl...didn't want my fingerprints potentially damaging the stock. I checked out the "2013 Winchester Pricing & Reference" download from gundigeststore & she looks to be the "Deluxe" variation, but I'm not sure. Gotta find that out.

skinner-t, Been around on some other forums trying to figure out what I'm gonna do to take out or minimize those very fine marks on the clear coat...they are not much. Lots of folks suggest the automotive polishing compound. Others say if you put on enough coats of Casey's-Birchwood you can eliminate them as well. There's a video @ markroncustomgunproducts showing off one of their products. I ordered it so unless something or someone stops me it's gonna get tried. Wish both me & the gun luck!

The only other thing wrong with this girl (& none of it is much!) is the clear coat on the black plastic tips on the fore-end & pistol grip has bubbled up. I can actually remove it with just my thumb nail. It changes the appearance from a semi-gloss to a flat black when I do that. So now I gotta figure out if I wanna completely take the finish off this plastic & if I do decide how to refinish it. Markron says they have a product for the plastic...a rouge. We'll see. Got myself into a little project.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm
What about using "rubbing compound" & then follow up with polishing compound then a wax? Or maybe even start out with 0000 steel wool before the rubbing compound?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm
The monte carlo stock and jeweled bolt would make it a Deluxe model...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 am
I wouldn't touch that stock with anything but leave in original condition.

But if determined to attempt removing the scratches plan on polishing the whole thing with polishing compound ( not rubbing compound ) because if you only do the scratches those areas will appear different for the remainder of its life.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting