Mag tube mounts breaking

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 am
Hi, has anyone had issues with 94 mag tube mounts/brackets cracking or breaking off? Our Legendry Frontersman and Chief Crazy Horse have both broken the mounts today, LF has less than 250 rds through it and the CCH under 20. Purchased new and unfired to be used in SASS long range side matches. Is this a problem with the commenratives and where can one purchase new parts? Both are 38/55 and have only been shot offhand at the range. Not nice when mag tube heads off down the range along with spring and follower. Thanks, Edge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm
I bought one a few years ago, I think it was from Numrich, fully finished and ready to install. Drive the pin out, use a dowel to twist it out and replace the same way if you're talking about the ring.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:27 pm
The commemoratives are "functional", however I don't think you will ever be happy with its performance as a shooter over the long term. They were really intended to be a display piece or a collectable, so don't expect too much from one if you decide to put it into regular service. I had a commemorative model 9422M with a very nicely engraved receiver, I bought it in very lightly used condition and sold it a year later because it just didn't work as well as the regular model I had. IMHO... Fit on stocks, internal moving parts etc. are better on the regular production models than the commemoratives. I wouldn't spend any more of my money on a commemorative model winchester anything...I just like the older shooters that are collectable...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:07 am
Thanks, from other comments we have received it looks like they are lemons. No doubt it did nothing for the Winchester name. The front band that holds the mag tube is sweated onto the barrel, the bracket that holds the foregrip is held in dovetail slot cut under the barrel. Both are very thin and light in construction, looking at our other Winchesters and Uberti's they are much heavier and larger. So have approached a tool maker out here and he is going to make some sets up. He feels that the originals are investment cast. Sadly we had hoped this rifle would be a big step up from our pre64 94 30/30 carbine but looks like even with improvements it may still not make the grade. I wonder why Winchester bothered to bore and rifle the barrel if they knew the rifles were not going to be shooters. It's like owning a sports car that won't go over the speed limit without something breaking. Regards, Edge.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:58 am
Pleased to advise the toolmaker has made 3 sets of the mag tube brackets and the lug that holds the foregrip. They are made from a tool steel used in the injection moulding industry. At least we have the rifles working again. Thanks to you all for the assistance. Graham.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:35 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Graham !!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting