Liability On Sale Of Non-Working Firearms

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 am
I have a couple of non-working firearms I'd like to sell. They are not safe to shoot as is. Gunsmiths tell me they may be repairable for not a lot of $. Potential buyers are asking that I not allow my gunsmiths to work on them as they'd rather use their own. What should I do to protect myself re. liability on these two? I'd sure hate for these guns to later injure/kill someone & then have the lawyers sending me unfriendly letters. Any thoughts, experience or suggestions. Also, even if I were to have the pieces repaired by gunsmiths before their sale would I be protected? Thank you.
.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 am
Hi,

Have you checked your local and State laws on any possible law about non-functioning guns?

The best thing to do, is probably to sell them "as-is" and have the buyer sign a receipt aknowledging that the guns are non functioning, and releasing you, the seller, from any liability thereof.

If you are not comfortable with this, you could always consult a local lawyer.

Good luck!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:08 pm
I would do a state transfer of the firearm(s) in question , adding the caveat that the firearm is being sold in a "non-working" condition to the new owner. As of that date and time, your liability with that firearm(s) would end.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting