Model 1912 22 Short loading / extracting malfunction

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 am
Hello to everybody, thanks for this forum.
I have a Winchester 1912 22 Short.
As a matter of fact it is still property of my mother (now 77 years old): it was a gift from his father sometime in the fifties. I'm very attached to it.
I have a problem in loading and after shooting in extracting: the loaded ammo does not enter easily, the block doesn't close well and the brass gets stucked and is difficoult to extract it. I don't like stressing the pump or the extractor as I fear a damage.
I would like cleaning the chamber where the cartridge is seated but I dont' know how to access it: when he rifle is taken down and the block is open, this remains in on the way. Is there any way to remove it (not being myself a gunsmith) ?
I would try ceaning the chamber with some solvent or some brass brush: any suggestion ?
Thanks for the help.
Jim60
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:50 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Jim60 !!

I would take it to a gunsmith for a complete cleaning and overhaul...sounds like it needs it !

Vendor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:02 pm
Model 12?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 am
Yes, I was mistaken, it's a 1890 Model. I don't know how why I had in mind 1912... Freudian lapsus ?
A gunsmith would be a definitive good solution !
If I don't get anywere I'll do it.
I found on this forum the suggestiont to search YouTube and I found an interesting tutorial on block removal.
Thanks for the replies.
Jim

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting