Winchester 94 AE cartridge jam

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:41 am
I have problem chambering a round in my new Winchester 94 AE 30-30. The gun is new and I've fired about 80 rounds with it. I'm using Hornady 160gr Leverevolution FTX ammo.

The problem occurs mainly when I operate the lever fast. When I push the lever front, a cartridge is loaded propely to the feeding ramp from the magazine. When I pull the lever back the cartridge gets jammed from rim after about 1/4th of lever movement. The front end of the cartridge is in the barrel and the bolt is contact with the rim of the cartridge when the jam occurs. If I push the lever front a bit, the tension eases, the rim of the catridge pops up and the cartridge is horizontally aligned with the barrel. After that I can pull the lever and get the cartridge propely chambered.

If I operate the lever slowly (the pull back part) the cartridge is propely chambered.

It seems that when I operate the lever fast, the cartridge doesn't have enough time to pop up from the feeding ramp and get horizontally aligned with the barrel. This problem makes it impossible to shoot fast. But it shouldn't do this, right?

This is my first Winchester rifle. I've alredy contacted the gun dealer who sold the gun, but I wanted a get a opinion about the problem from you people who have had experiment with Winchester rifles.

I'll post a picture how it looks like when the cartridge is jammed.

ps. English is not my native langauge so some of my terms might be incorrect.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:08 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting