Frozen firing pin ?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:19 pm
Hello, I need to find out if anyone else has had a problem with the model 70 pre 64 not working in cold weather 0 degrees to 15 or 20 above 0 . ? Mine and a friends malfunctioned on a hunt in Colorado this year. Each time it was squeeze trigger and no boom or delayed boom!( not good ). So when I got home of course I learned how easy it is to take my bolt apart, and what I found was a clean dry bolt inside ,, and one small piece of dried dirt/grease the size of a pencil lead and as thin as a sheet of paper doubled ,along a tang that slides on bottom of bolt. Any suggestions ? Thanks

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:58 pm
I don't have a Win Mod 70 nor any experience with one so I can't address the issue of the gunk in the action. If I read the description of your problem correctly, both you AND your friend experienced the malfunction in question. My first guess would be that it was ammo related. Are you shooting reloads? Are you sharing rounds from the same box of cartridges or perhaps the same lot #? You didn't mention the make, model and vintage of your friend's rifle but unless it's the very same rifle, cared for in the very same way and shot in the very same conditions every time, I would say that it's unlikely to be experiencing the same mechanical problem as your rifle. I suppose that it's possible if you both cleaned and lubed your guns with the same lubricant prior to heading to Colorado and the lube was affected by the cold enough to impede the travel of the firing pin enough to cause a light strike.
A bit of a mystery but I'd still rule out an ammo problem before focusing attention on the firearms.
Sleeper

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting