Replacing Cartridge Cutoff Mod. 12

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm
Hi all,

I inherited a nice Model 12 16ga a few years back. Appears to be a 1934 model. SN 670253. The first time I went to load a shell in the mag. I found that the cartridge cutoff was missing. I ordered one online, can't remember from where, it's been awhile, but it will not fit. comes close, but just will not drop into place and fit flush with receiver housing. Now have some free time on my hands and would like to get this repaired and enjoy a nice shotgun.
My guess is that the one I received is for some year of manufacture that is not compatible, but that's just a guess. It does have a small "16" stamped on it.
Anyone know if this is a part that if for the correct year/model will drop right into place? Any range of years of manufacture that parts are interchangeable? Online parts supply recommendation? I do know it needs to be fully forward, but still no go.

Thanks.

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 am
Here is a schematic and source to purchase..

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufactur ... -41794.htm

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:22 am
Thank you XLIV, I just placed the order.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:19 am
Good that you have the 16 ga. I see the others are sold out,
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum ACM !!

Enjoy the community...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am
Thanks, I'll be sure and post a followup when the part arrives.
20g
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:30 pm
Thanks for joining in the forum ACM.
GOA Life Member
NRA Sustaining Member
USMC Korea vet
Retired CWO3 USCGR

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 pm
Updating the post. I got the cartridge cutoff but won't fit. 2nd try now. I figure the odds of receiving 2 incorrect replacement parts are pretty slim. So using good light and a magnifying glass I think I may have found the problem. Looking really close it almost looks like the slot that the front of the cutoff needs to fit into might have somehow been deformed. Edge of the slot appears pressed or rolled slightly making it too tight for cutoff to fit into.
I'm going to start looking around for a good gunsmith to get opinion. Hopefully I'll be able to post a positive outcome at some point in the not too distant future.
Thanks again for the input.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting