Remington hyper velocity steel shells in a 1300?

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:50 pm
How safe (or not) would this be in a 1300? I have used Black cloud with no problem but a friend gave me 4 boxes of this ammo but the speed is 1700 fps so I don't know if this model can handle that I am using Carlson waterfowl choke tubes that extend 3/4" pass the muzzle. Thanks for your kind remarks, Tony

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 am
Call Carlson about the choke and tell them what you have I have there choke on my turkey gun and had some questions answered their very helpful :)
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:34 am
Carlson has told me the tubes can take it they just not sure about the gun itself. Thank you

.270 WIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 am
Contact Winchester
http://www.winchesterguns.com/customers ... asp?id=244
"Im just a Peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns"

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:43 am
Believe it that is the first thing I did and they could not tell me for sure. I just figured that maybe someone has used them on theirs and could shed some light on the subject. Thanks, Tony
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:12 pm
Not sure Tony...what year was the firearm made in !?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:07 pm
late 80's or early 90's I have been using Black cloud 3" and that works ok with extended Carlson waterfowl tubes but this Remington stuff is super hot. Thanks for your reply, Happy Thanksgiving. Tony

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 pm
Oh, hmm, it never occurred to me that the Winchester 1300 might not be a pretty strong action, I know I've shot these slugs before, they're rated at 1800fps (I used the 2-3/4" variety), and I never gave it a second thought:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammun ... slugs.aspx

Brutal recoil, but I kind of like recoil :D

That probably doesn't help you any, though, as the slugs are lighter (7/8 oz., while the Hypersonic Steel loads appear to have 1-1/4 oz. of shot) and will have a different pressure profile that the action/chamber sees.

If you're going to try it, I'd put the gun in a vise, and fire the first couple shots with a string attached to the trigger.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm
Actually, look at this claim on the Remington product page:

"New HOTTER primer ignites small powder charge in chamber, moving entire payload forward slightly to control pressure."

If that's true...I think what they're saying is that they figured out a slick way to provide a hotter load than could normally be taken by a standard shotgun action/chamber by way of manipulating ignition volume. Sort of similar in a way to these new Leverevolution and Superformance powders that are able to get more velocity out of the same bullet with the same peak pressure...if they did their math right it shouldn't hurt a modern standard gun.

From the animation on their product webpage they show the cartridge being used in what looks like an 870 to me.

I'll admit that's slightly speculative on my part :)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm
Thank you all. I contacted Remington but they will not say Yes or no so I think I will trade them to my friend who has a Browning BPS 31/2 Pump that one will take them fine. I love my 1300 and would hate to damage it.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting