Winchester High Wall Musket 45-70

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:37 am
Hi guys, Im a Norwegian collector of antique firearms and a competition shooter. I was adviced to post a request here by a fellow American collector. The reason why I need to ask you guys a couple questions is that I have just bought an old High Wall musket 45-70 gov. Now, this rifle miss the rear sight, front barrel band/fore-end steel cap, rear barrel band and the cleaning rod is missing too.

Albert Buckingham had the rear sight and the rear barrel band, but Im still looking for the front barrel band and foreend steel cup. Cleaning rod too.

The front band and steel cup looks like this, you can see the looks of the cleaning rod too.

Question is simple. Is there anybody out there that might be able to help me finding these missing parts?

Iv learned that fellow gun-nuts like to see images of the rifles in mind so here is a couple images of the rifle that need those parts....

Thank you and have a great day
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 pm
Have you tried Numrich Gun Parts Corporation in the USA...!?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 pm
Iv looked and searched, but I could not find any of the parts I miss at Numrich. I could send them a request and see what happens though. Thank you for the tip...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:53 pm
Ok guys, I havent been able to log in for a while. Ill try to improve myself.

I got in touch with a fella named Albert Buckingham. He got a ton of Winchester parts. But unfortunately none of the parts he send me where the right ones. Close, but still so far away. I have no idea where to look now.

However, I have been able to test shoot the old rifle. The bore aint exactly perfect, but the bullets went down range and surprised me. It fouls up rather quick, but if I swipe between shots it makes less than a 2" grouping at 100m. I used 500 grs bullets in front of 70 grs of Swiss 1 1/2. She made slight keyholes so I measured the twist rate figuring I was using a too heavy bullet. But the twist turns out to be faster than the one found in rifles of that time. 1/18 twist. Almost hard to believe.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting