Bought A Winchester 94, Runs Like Hell

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 pm
So I bought a Winchester 94 after many years of wanting one. I get it today and it just runs like hell. It actually hurts my right hand to operate the thing. It's from 1970, but I was told it was hardly operated at all, so maybe it just needs some breaking in?

First off, getting it apart was easy, but putting it back together was one of the worst experiences of my life. I still don't know if I'm putting the trigger assembly back together correctly. I tried looking up instructions, but all the triggers are different from my own. Here's what mine looks like.

So, I guess I need to find out:

1. How do I correctly put the trigger and hammer assembly back into the rifle?
2. How do I smooth up the action so that it doesn't feel like it was built from stone?
3. How do I load this thing without the bullets popping back out again?
4. How do I keep empty shells from hitting me in the head? I've had a couple now that have smacked me right in the glasses.

Thanks.
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:04 am

If that video doesn't help, there are others on the side at Youtube that might.

I would just make sure it is well oiled and not rusty on any of the mechinisms.

Here is how I load my Win_94.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 am
Thanks for the reply. The first video doesn't help because my lower tang is vastly different than the one shown, thus it's a different method for putting it into the receiver.

I did a full tear down and there weren't any rusty points at all. It's also well oiled, but there still seems to be a bit more drag than there should be.

The loading vid did help though. Thanks!

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:06 pm
So, I guess I need to find out:

1. How do I correctly put the trigger and hammer assembly back into the rifle?
2. How do I smooth up the action so that it doesn't feel like it was built from stone?
3. How do I load this thing without the bullets popping back out again?
4. How do I keep empty shells from hitting me in the head? I've had a couple now that have smacked me right in the glasses.

Thanks.

1. On my old 94 it is completely different hammer and spring assembly.

For your 94 I would slide the lower tang into the lower receiver slot. Then compress the "leaf spring" with your thumb or fingers and, insert the hammer from the top. Press down on the hammer and line up the hole. Once it is lined up hold it there and, at the same time insert the screw and tighten down. It should be fine.

2. Take a flat file and take off the top of the hammer at about a 45 degree angle. Also you can back off the hammer spring screw a little bit to release some of the tension. If you do both you'll smooth up the action.
You can see how the hammer looks like on mine.

3. I like to insert the cartridges with the rim almost beyond the loading gate. repeat for several, then push the last one in all the way to close the gate. Doing it this way will keep the gate open and, make it much easier to load.

4. :lol: wear a hat. A cowboy hat works well.
If you wear a sombrero Mexican hat then you'll catch the fired cases in the hat too :lol:
You could wear those ammo belts across your shoulder and, look like Pancho Villa. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:10 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum pictures !!

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting