How to set headspace .22RL???

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:11 pm
Being new here I posted this question on the "new members Forum" with no results. It took me a while to find the correct place and I do need your help.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012 17:08
Hello all,
I'll have to get used to where to place posts. I do have a question for a friend that purchased a new bolt handle cocking sleeve assembly for his newly acquired Winchester 75T. I also purchased a new one from Wendel at Outback Gun Parts four years ago but have not needed it yet.
I was experiencing 3 out of 10 no fires in my 1955 75T. I made an extremely thin brass shim to make up the head space after cleaning up and truing the worn and sharp front edge on my cocking sleeve. I placed the round shim at the rear of the cocking sleeve. It required many disassembles and assemblies while working down the thickness of the washer/spacer. I just did it by feel until the bolt closed firmly but not requiring a hard close.
I understand that the 22RL bolt spaces off the rim thickness. Without gauges is there a simple way to determine proper head space? I would think that with fairly low chamber pressures it would be ok to load a round, slowly close the bolt to feel the tightness of the lock up, if ok fire a round and inspect the fired rim. If the firing pin hasn't rounded the rim or cut it and it looks ok it should be good to go. If experiencing much resistance in closing the bolt some careful reduction on the rear of the cocking sleeve would be in order until a firm but not hard lockup is achieved. I have read that the head space should be around .43, .40 for the rim thickness and .03 for the head space. So how do I measure that or are my fore mentioned methods safe to try?

I would appreciate your knowledge....

Pete K.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm
You are close on your numbers.But,Make em .o43,,and .040...A repeater needs about .043..A target bolt action can be less,about .041..The way you checked is the way I do it.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting