Winchester Model 70 in .308 BOSS removal

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm
Hello Fellow Winchester Owners,
I am new to this forum. I acquired a Winchester Model 70 in .308 from a friend that came equipped with the BOSS System installed. While I always use hearing protection on the range, we had a slight bear problem with our beehives and I eventually engaged the bear with my Winchester killing it with five rapid fired shots. In addition to getting a new bear rug, I also seem to have gotten a permanent slight hearing problem in my left ear as well. Since I plan on using this as my primary hunting rifle for the upcoming deer season, what can I do to solve this noise problem? The BOSS system screws right off, but is it safe to shoot with it off? Is there a flash or noise suppressor attachment that would fit the same threading as the BOSS? Should I just replace the entire barrel and keep this one with the BOSS as a backup? Curious to get your feedback. Thanks so much! -JSD in Vermont.

.22LR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 pm
There is a replacement item for the muzzle brake that unscrews from the end of your boss adjustment ring. It is called a B.O.S.S. CR. It is available at:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... el-70-boss

Find the one that is appropriate in finish and caliber of your rifle.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting