Safety stuck in fire position

Anything and everything related to firearm maintenance, modification, safety and troubleshooting can be posted here.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:30 am
I recently bought a new Model 70 featherweight. Have had it out once and shot it maybe 12 times. The safety is now stuck in the fire position. I have not adjusted the trigger and have not taken the bolt apart. I can't take the bolt apart because the safety will not go to middle position. Any ideas as to how I can easily fix this? I'm hoping I don't have to send it to Winchester. Any suggestions apreciated.

Mike
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum Baltimoremike !!

May I suggest a shot of some WD-40 penetrating fluid to see if it is rust keeping it from moving ?! Sometimes the simplest fix is the right one...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm
Not sure if if this is your issue but I thought I would mention this anyway.....The safety will not move from the fire position until the bolt is closed and cocked. If the bolt was closed while holding the trigger or dry fired the last time you cycled it, the safety will not move from fire. You can try cocking it on an empty chamber to see if it moves to safe.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 pm
You can also try removing the bolt and placing the portion of the bolt that engages the sear on a hard non-marking surface and pushing down to compress the firing spring enough to take the pressure off of the safety and move to the center point. At this point you can disassemble the bolt but if you can't move the safety without doing this you may have a burr inside that needs to be smoothed out. With the rifle cocked (unloaded of course) move the safety back and forth and see if that polishes things out.

Return to Firearm Maintenance, Modification, Safety And Troubleshooting