Tactical Revolver

Anything and everything related to tactical and home defense use of firearms can be posted here.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:49 pm
I am wondering about those of you that use a revolver for self defense and/or tactical use. Do you cock the hammer upon drawing the handgun.

I am a bit mechanical in my movements when drawing my firearm since I cock on the draw. When I go to grip the handgun, I make sure everything is lined up perfectly before drawing; then I try to cock the hammer when the barrel is less than a 45 degree angle from level, as to negate an injury if my thumb slips.

It seems that I could be faster if I just drew the weapon then fired it by depressing the trigger only. With my follow-up shots using the trigger only, I still hit center mass on a torso target at 30 yards; so it seems that the long trigger pull doesn't effect my accuracy.
Not cocking on the draw would eliminate one step of the draw, as well as make my draw faster from not being so deliberate.

What do you do?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:01 pm
I am one of those who carries and uses a combat revolver as his main dooms day gun, it's a custom built S&W 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum. I often fire it in single action mode at long range. Generally I shoot it DA, the action is tuned for staging the trigger with a nice smooth 8lb DA pull. I will often stage the trigger when I want to get that last little bit of accuracy at a distance, but at close quarters a smooth DA pull works just fine.

Regards,
Guy Smith
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:15 pm
smith357 wrote:I am one of those who carries and uses a combat revolver as his main dooms day gun, it's a custom built S&W 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum. I often fire it in single action mode at long range. Generally I shoot it DA, the action is tuned for staging the trigger with a nice smooth 8lb DA pull. I will often stage the trigger when I want to get that last little bit of accuracy at a distance, but at close quarters a smooth DA pull works just fine.

Beautiful revolver!

Mine is a S&W 686.

It has 12lbs of double action trigger pull and 5lbs single action; the double action feels nice and smooth. I've actually only tried shooting it a few shots double action and I did well.

Thanks for your input!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm
It actually depends if I'm using a single action or a double action.

When using my Colt SAA or Ruger Bisley Vaquero from my gunfighter cowboy rig, I've always practiced cocking the hammer as I pulled from the scabbard...

When using my double action S&W M13 and M629, I usually don't thumb back the hammer until I've cleared the leather and the gun is on target...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:37 pm
Love that Model 629, very sharp!

I still haven't gotten out to the range with the pistol, but I'm thinking next week I'll try both ways and see how accurate I am.

Thanks for the input!

.22LR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 pm
Which way will allow you to get hits on target in about one second? As for tactics it sounds like this is a single action because you mentioned concerns for ADs from dropped hammer strikes. I am a fan of a single six but not sure if it is the best revolver for tactical use. It sounds like this is your concern however you also speak of DA so that leads me to believe that you gun is SA/DA. If so do you practice drawing with your finger on the frame/ side ? Do you practice drawing from concealment and not firing (shoot/don't shoot)? In class I tell students that how, where, why, what, and when they carry is not so important if they practice each of these. What is meant by this is chambered or not, cocked or not, safety on or off, are personal choices that I have strong opinions on but matter little if you practice.
The power of life and death are found in the tongue - Proverbs 18 -21

An armed society is a polite society - Thomas Jefferson

Molon Labe -Come and take them-
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 am
akerscqb wrote:Which way will allow you to get hits on target in about one second? As for tactics it sounds like this is a single action because you mentioned concerns for ADs from dropped hammer strikes. I am a fan of a single six but not sure if it is the best revolver for tactical use. It sounds like this is your concern however you also speak of DA so that leads me to believe that you gun is SA/DA. If so do you practice drawing with your finger on the frame/ side ? Do you practice drawing from concealment and not firing (shoot/don't shoot)? In class I tell students that how, where, why, what, and when they carry is not so important if they practice each of these. What is meant by this is chambered or not, cocked or not, safety on or off, are personal choices that I have strong opinions on but matter little if you practice.

I hit about just as fast and accurate double or single action.

I'll pull the pistol with my finger straight, then after I am on target I'll move my finger to the trigger.

I don't carry that pistol concealed, it is a 686 with an 8 3/8" barrel. But I do draw it from a few different holster configurations. When I dry practice I'll not depress the trigger until I'm easing the hammer down; so that's like practicing not shooting.

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 pm
My apologies, from the title and post I assumed this was for self defense. Sounds like you are spot on.
The power of life and death are found in the tongue - Proverbs 18 -21

An armed society is a polite society - Thomas Jefferson

Molon Labe -Come and take them-

Return to Tactical And Home Defense