Perma-Cote or No Perma-Cote

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 pm
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy an SX3 Field and I have the opportunity to purchase a leftover '11 model that has the Perma-Cote applied.

My question is, should I buy the leftover model or go for the new model that doesn't have the Perma-Cote?

Has there been any durability issues with the Perma-Cote? I realized the Dura-Touch on the stocks had issues, but I hadn't heard anything about the Perma-Cote on the barrels, etc.

For the models that have Perma-Cote on the barrels, is the barrel still blued underneath or is it more of a "raw" finish that would rust easier if the coating wore off?

Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 pm
I looked at a perma-cote model with synthetic stock, also a blued and wood stock, and finally decided to spend the extra $150 to buy a MODB Camo pattern. I think the perma-cote looks really good when its new, but the gun I looked at was a demo and it was already scratching off in a few places after only being used a few times. (There was no bluing visible under the perma-cote) You could see the signs of rust forming in the scratched areas so I decided it was a bad choice for me. This perma-cote gun was most likely abused by the look of the rest of it too, and if taken care of, its probably a good finish, but I wasn't taking the chance. The only exterior care needed for the camo pattern gun is to wash it with soapy water & keep the solvents and oil off it as much as possible, so far mine is holding up really well and I like having a shotgun finish that isn't easily damaged by rain and lots of use .

Return to Winchester SX3