SXP fore sight thread

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm
tornado ted wrote:I've only tried 2 different shot shells yet, both are 29g, just over 1 oz.

But I still don't quite get how the bolt can open if I'm holding the slide forwards, and the gun is kicking against my shoulder??

It's no issue to me, just don't see what they are getting at ;) ;)

Well, that's the thing. Don't hold the slide forward. You have to relax your grip.....which is somewhat inconvenient.

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 am
New front bead arrived today so we'll try again, I am going to have to put the O/U away for awhile so I can get used to it, still holding for the 2nd shot instead of pumping. :oops: :oops:

The fact that you have to lesson your grip defeats whatever they claim for the gun in respect of being a recoil ejecting gun, but that means jack shite, I bought it as a pump pure and simple :D :D , and it does it's job dam well.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 am
Hey guys, good morning from sunshine Athens.

You are looking for this?

To find the fore sight you want, just go to:
http://www.truglo.com
Optics/firearm
Wing shooting
Second page (the first two items)

Unfortunately I can't copy and paste the URL from truglo.

My SXP came with this already installed. :mrgreen:

Enjoy some other views:

Have good time,
Yianni

.22LR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 am
Hi Yianni,

Quite a cosmopolitan thread we have going here, that's great.

Yes, there are many options, magnetic, stick on and as I was looking for, a direct screw in replacement, the type I linked to as did another guy and of course the 1's in the truglo cat.

The essential point being that if anyone looks at the fitment list that you point to, it is the 3mm thread that is reguired, not 3.56 or 2,6mm etc.

Hope that's clear for all.

You got 5 mins to tell about gun control in your neck of the woods?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm
Hi Ted,
My SXP is the defender model with 20" barrel that make us the minimum legal leghth of a shotgun in Greece (1meter). I bought it for HD but it become "my gun" in IPSC challenges here. I mostly compete in handguns but I'm having fun with shotgun competitions also.

The reason that I'm writing these is, that if you don't have any specific reason to have your bead exactly 3mm, you should reconsider and aim lower or higher with a stable bead (like what I'm proposing). It is stable and solid after 2-3 thousand shells.

Like in every shotgun without rear sights you should not expect the precision of a riffle, with a little exercise you can bullseye slugs in 50 meters with this fiber optic.

Finally if you don't find any solid bead don't turn back to the metal one. Put any optic fiber and buy a laser shell to put into chamber. There you can examine where is the laser and where is your aim in 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100 meters...

PS: please define, "neck of woods" :lol: I'm not into that argo... :oops:

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:48 am
Neck of the woods is a shooting term, used in the UK and I guess in the USA.
It simply means my area, or where I live, or even where I shoot :D :D

I have resolved my own question Yianni, being an engineer I wanted a foresight that fitted the same way as Winchester intended it, ie, it screws in ;)

24" is the minimum length of barrel here in the uk, there is also a minimum overall length of gun but I forget that.

We are not allowed to use slugs.

Good luck with the sport.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 pm
The thread for the SXP is not 3-56 is M3-.5mm

I made that mistake when the original bead on my SXP got lost somehow and I had to buy a replacement. The bead thread chart on Brownell's showed that Winchester uses 3-56 TPI threads. But i guess that chart is old and only refers to the US made Winchesters like the 1300s.
The current Winchester Arms and the SXP is a whole different beast altogether. It's made in Turkey so it would make sense they use a metric standard thread.
Anyway i ordered a new bead witha 3-56 thread thinking it was right. When I got it, turns out, NOPE. The 3-56 is too small for the SXP. Couldn't find the right metric bead so I just drilled and re-tapped it for a 6-48 bead.

As for the inertia pump thing. The key is don't try to hold the slide forward. You really don't need to. When the gun is ready to fire. Hammer cocked, round in the chamber, the bolt is locked anyway. It ain't gonna open on you so you don't need to hold it closed. I find that uncomfortable to hald a gun like that anyway. Either relax your hand or even give a slight rearward pull on the foreend before firing. Not much, just a slight pressure, like you're trying to pull the gun into your shoulder. once the gun fires, just let your hand go along with the pump. it'll open right up on you without you even trying. Then all you do is just flick it closed for the next shot.

This is the first and only shotgun I ever had and now, I really can't imagine shooting a pump-action where you actually have to consciously cycle the action every time.

Also you guys in Europe should be glad you atleast get 1 thing we can't here in the U.S. A Proper Defender model with 7+1 capacity.
Next

Return to Winchester SXP