newbie with cleaning questions

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a new SXP camp/field combo. This is my first firearm, so naturally I've been going through the manual and messing around with it (in a safe manner) to get a feel for how everything operates. well, after loading and unloading it a few dozen times, I finally took it apart to look into cleaning it for the first time... flakes of plastic from the shells are EVERYWHERE!

can't just blow them out, because of the grease from the factory making them stick
can't get a brush down into the nooks and crannies of the trigger group or bolt

the first thing my mind jumped to was trying to rinse it out... not sure if that would be a good idea since water and steel aren't the best of friends

my second thought was my spray can of dupont teflon motorcycle degreaser... and i'm not coming up with any obvious reasons why this would be a bad plan.

naturally this would be followed up with a thorough oiling.

advice? opinions?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 pm
well, having heard nothing (you're a quiet lot aren't ya), I bought a can of gun-specific aerosol cleaner... Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner. Also bought some Hoppes #9 for the oiling process.

will save my motorcycle chain degreaser for the motorcycle.
Administrator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:21 pm
Sorry for missing this post initially and thank you for taking the time to respond. I usually use CLP cleaner initially but then after that I tend to use FrogLube on all of my firearms. It has been hands down my favorite cleaner to date. I know others who lube their firearms with motor oil.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:46 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm
upon further research... those "flakes of plastic" were actually the "granulated polymer buffering" that Remington puts in their buckshot. some of those shells I was repeatedly racking through the gun unsealed themselves enough to start spilling it everywhere.

in any case... I got it cleaned and lubed. Now I just need to arrange a time and place to actually shoot the thing.
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:44 pm
Thanks for the update! I am in the same position when it comes to shooting...its been way to long since I last hit the range...

Return to Winchester SXP