Shotgun Noob / New Member

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:16 pm
Evening fellow owners,

A little background on me before I ask my questions...

Not a gun fanatic. Never owned a weapon before my purchase of Winchester SXP Defender.
I purchased for home defense, and plan on investing a lot of time on the range and in training. The last time I fired a weapon was 4H camp when i was 8. I did a lot of soul searching and investigating before my purchase. Cost of the gun, and others experience was my deciding factor for purchasing the Defender.

Now, here is my question, and thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions you may give. I have no intention of starting the "what is the best ammo for HD?" battle, as i have read many many articles and threads regarding this issue. I just want to know what others experiences are, as i have none.

I would also like suggestions for adding an additional sight to the SXP. I honestly don't know what is best, and would like to add something that ensures me that with practice, I could hit what I need to hit. It's important to me to add a sight that is solid and doesn't take away from the integrity of the gun.

Thanks guys.

Meaty

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm
00 Buckshot, or #1 Buckshot have great terminal Ballistics. I recommend the Federal Flight Control for keeping tight patterns. Get a few different types and pattern at various ranges so you know what your shotgun does with a particular type. Get some slugs just in case you have to reach out a bit. Use target loads for training (saves $).
But, first and foremost, get some quality training. Learn how to safely handle the shotgun, store it, load/unload properly, care/cleaning/maintenance, marksmanship fundamentals, patterning, reloading, change-overs, position shooting, etc. etc. etc.

As far as sights, stick with the bead. People have been feeding their families for hundreds of years with nothing more than a simple bead on their shotgun. If clay shooters can hit a 4" clay disc moving 40+ mph with a bead, hitting anything else (that is bigger and moves slower) is relatively easy. Rather than an optic, I would get a decent light and mount (target ID is crucial). After training, you should be comfortable with using the bead sight on any realistic engagement range, but being able to ID a potential threat is of utmost importance.

I have taught tactical shotgun courses to all levels of military and law enforcement personnel for over 20 years. I have seen too many "Gucci-ed" up shotguns with lights, lasers, optics, cool-guy slings, side saddles, heat shields, folding stocks, pistol grip only, etc. that fail to keep up with a simple set up on a shotgun. Plan on anything you add onto a shotgun to fall off, get in your way, break, or just plain not work when you need it most. Keep it simple and practice, practice, practice.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Return to Winchester SXP