SXP Review & Finish

Copper BB
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:05 pm
This will be a fairly brief review, as time is working against me today.
I find little to be amiss with the SXP Black shadow. It's as smooth as glass, and the first impression of quality is reinforced as time goes by. It's quick to the shoulder, and seems to hit where aimed, and recoil seems almost non-existent. I have not tried any heavy loads yet, but compared to a youth model 1300 20 ga. wood stock with a limbsaver recoil pad, it is night and day. The 1300 smacks me in the upper jaw, but a sligtly longer like-new Hogue standard stock (13 3/4 LOP) may fix that.

The issue I have with the SXP is one of a learning curve, since I have utilized auto-loaders for a long time over the years. I find that if the forearm is tightly gripped your hand can actually impede how quick the gun cycles. While hunting quail, I found I was having difficulty getting the next round chambered. Same was true with the little 1300, so it will just take more practice...I find that with the SXP the fired round is usually gone, then I have to remember to stroke it :lol:

My concern now is that the finish on the barrel, and perhaps the receiver as well is not so great. A Mossberg matte finish is a lot deeper. I easily put a light scratch in the 26" barrel taking the gun from the trunk. I will be more careful with the 24"- which BTW, I like a lot better.

The receiver area just above the trigger guard - where my finger probably is resting- already shows a slight rub mark! I am torn between sending it back to Winchester central or not. Their policy is no warranty, just like Browning, but I also was told Browning wants everything to go smoothly with this model. They also say that if a repair estimate is not accepted, you will be responsible to pay a $30 return shipping fee. So...I guess the worst to expect is I pay a fee if they do not fix it free. Perhaps I will get a new receiver out of the deal in the best case: they won't be re-finishing it.
Administrator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 pm
Thanks for the brief review. As for your decision of sending it back I probably wouldn't personally. I would continue to use it and enjoy it and when the finish becomes really worn send it to be cerakoted. Tough call though.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 pm
I'm inclined to agree with you on the return. Come to think of it, perhaps I got a tiny amount of solvent there while initially cleaning it and/or rubbed it with a cloth with a bit of solvent there. I know the solvent was used on that stupid barrel sticker glue, but the barrel is no worse for it.
The cerakote process looks really nice, perhaps some day I will use it on an old double Dad has as part of a complete restore job, including new furniture, to a "Hercules" or some such gun.

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:48 am
Yea i also noticed that my SXP Field tends to scratch pretty easy. But I'm one of those folks who likes their shotguns to look used with some honest wear so it just makes it better for me.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm
A gunsmith I talked to about cutting down a barrel said the finish on these entry level guns was like that. I guess the point would be if the all the SXP's are the same? I don't see a higher grade SXP listed- perhaps that will happen but I doubt it. It would be a relatively easy fix to deepen the blueing but I don't see Winchester doing that. What I find most odd is that the receiver finish and the barrel finish seem different, and I wonder if the the receiver being aluminum has something to do with that?

One thing is certain, the SX3 is where they have concentrated their attention. For $1000 it had better be really great, cause that is out of my league. If the Mossberg 930 had not developed all the spring tension problems causing me to doubt reliable feeding, it would still be in my cabinet...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm
I think the main difference in the quality of finishes is that the SX3 is made by FN, and the SXP is made by a Turkish manufacturer as a cost saving to Winchester. They need to do this with the SXP to remain competitive with the other similat type pump guns on the market. SXP's are still a very good value regardless of their fit and finish issues, they are a very reliable pump gun. My SX3 doesn't have any finish issues, its the 3-1/2" Chamber MODB Camo model with thousands of rounds down the pipe. I paid $1359 for it....No regrets.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:33 pm
The finish being different between receiver and barrel is because the receiver is aluminum. The barrel is steel.
The barrel is matte blued. But you physically cannot blue aluminum so it is anodized to match the barrel as close as possible. You also cannot anodize steel so the reason for the difference. I find they match pretty evenly though so no biggie. I would like a higher grade SXP with glossy wood and polished blue on the barrel and a shiny anodizing on the receiver to match. Like the old 1300s or the new Mossberg 500 Classic and a metal trigger guard to boot. Just for that extra level of fanciness. :D

But so far, no. It seems all SXPs are essentially the same grade of finish on the metal. Only difference is if you get no-frills wood or no-frills plastic for the furniture.

Return to Winchester SXP