Anybody broke their firing pin yet?

.22LR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 am
So I have this bad habit of dry-firing my shotguns ALOT. And with 12ga snap caps being a bit expensive, I haven't gotten around to getting any. Though now I'm definately gonna make some out of empty 12ga hulls and some hot glue.....eventually.
I know alot of people say that dry-firing without snap caps is bad for your firing pin. But I always kinda figured that was just over-cautious nonsense that only applied to old guns. Until now.

Was dry firing my SXP yesterday. Rack, snap. Rack, snap. Rack, snap, poing. And there goes the tip of my firing pin flying out the end of the barrel. :x

Going to give Winchester a call. Hope they can send me another one. Anyone have this happen to them? Anyone order parts from Winchester? Somehow I get this impression that they don't like sending spare parts out and ask you to just send them the gun for pretty much any and all repairs. Which I really don't want to do for just a firing pin that I could replace myself in 5 minutes.

Vendor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm
The reason they do that for certain parts is from the legality standpoint. If the part is sold by them, not installed correctly and someone gets hurt or killed everyone gets sued.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 pm
Nickel Plated wrote:Going to give Winchester a call. Hope they can send me another one. Anyone have this happen to them? Anyone order parts from Winchester? Somehow I get this impression that they don't like sending spare parts out and ask you to just send them the gun for pretty much any and all repairs. Which I really don't want to do for just a firing pin that I could replace myself in 5 minutes.

The other reply is correct. Additionally, their site has no online store unlike Mossberg. They don't present a way to order parts directly to my knowledge. However, there are other sites that you can order from. I got a 24" barrel from Midwestgunworks.com- just be careful as I am having a slight go around with them about the turkey choke that should have come with it but did not...I have never had an issue with Midway, Brownells, etc. but sometimes they do not have stock. I am fairly certain that the above mentioned site may well have a pin.

Vendor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm
Also try Numerich Arms.

.22LR
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:26 pm
Well other manufacturers don't seem to have the same concern. You can buy practically anything you want to fix your Mossberg or Remington. But I digress. That's not really the point of the thread.

As for Midwest and Numrich's. I already looked. As well as other sites. And concluded that SXP or any other modern Winchester gun's parts are nonexistent unless you go to Winchester directly. Maybe they haven't been around long enough for parts to trickle out onto the market. Maybe it's because they're imported. I noticed most imported guns don't tend to have parts out there for them except from the manufacturer.

Anyway, paycheck is coming this Wednesday so let's hope Winchester deems me worthy enough to replace a firing pin. I mean you take it out every time you clean the gun so I'm assuming they would consider it a user serviceable part.

Edit: Nice source of barrels BTW, LaVerne64. I do need a 26" field barrel.

.22LR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:30 pm
Don't mean to pile on but a snap cap would have been the best alternative and a lot cheaper.......just saying.....
Gunslinger 1
LTC (Ret)
Infantry

I'm a man.....I can change.....if I want to.....I guess....

Return to Winchester SXP