SXP Extreme Defender Questions

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:52 am
SX3 and now new SXP Extreme Defender owner here. Debated a long time between getting the camp / field combo and buying the ATI accessories for the HD use or buying the Extreme Defender and buying a field barrel. Pulled the trigger on the Extreme since I was able to grab one on Gun Broker for $300. The math works better this way than the other way. On to my questions:

1. I mistakenly presumed the ATI stock that came with the Extreme was adjustable. It is not, and it clearly states in the product description it it non-adjustable. My bad, but it looks like ATI sells a kit for idiots like me for $45 to convert it. Does anyone know why Winchester made this gun with a non-adjustable stock? It's clearly the same stock, less the spring and lever to pull the adjustment pin.

2. For field use, can the ATI stock be used without the pistol grip? Or can I just buy a standard factory or similar field style stock?

Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:23 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum C23118 !!

#1. Alot of different companies make "pinned" stocks that look adjustable to give the firearm a "tacticool" look...

#2. Have you called ATI and asked them...?!

http://www.atigunstocks.com/content/8-support

Vendor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:40 am
C23118 wrote:SX3 and now new SXP Extreme Defender owner here. Debated a long time between getting the camp / field combo and buying the ATI accessories for the HD use or buying the Extreme Defender and buying a field barrel. Pulled the trigger on the Extreme since I was able to grab one on Gun Broker for $300. The math works better this way than the other way. On to my questions:

1. I mistakenly presumed the ATI stock that came with the Extreme was adjustable. It is not, and it clearly states in the product description it it non-adjustable. My bad, but it looks like ATI sells a kit for idiots like me for $45 to convert it. Does anyone know why Winchester made this gun with a non-adjustable stock? It's clearly the same stock, less the spring and lever to pull the adjustment pin.

2. For field use, can the ATI stock be used without the pistol grip? Or can I just buy a standard factory or similar field style stock?

Thanks!

Hey C23118, Winchester makes their firearms outside of the U.S. and as such they cannot import any firearms with an adjustable stock. This is why we made our retro-kit available to give everyone an easy way to add functionality to their new SXP. Link: http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/731- ... k-kit.html

The pistol grip cannot be removed for field use, but we do offer a traditional-style adjustable stock called the Akita which might be worth a look for you, here's a link: http://www.atigunstocks.com/akita-a/641 ... orend.html

Let us know if you have any more questions and we hope you're liking your new SXP with ATI accessories!

.22LR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:51 pm
Hey C23118,
The ATI Talon T2 kit is great..Installed one on my SXP, Fully adjustable 6 position stock. Great ergonomics. $122.00 with military discount! Too bad you bought one that's non adjustable. Get on ATI's website or call the factory. If you have questions write back....
Gunslinger 1
LTC (Ret)
Infantry

I'm a man.....I can change.....if I want to.....I guess....

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 am
Thanks everyone for the input. Will give ATI a call and buy accessories for Barbie...:)

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:17 am
I have a couple of questions and was hoping any of the Winchester experts on this forum could help me out...First, does anyone have a video link or know of a webpage that shows how to disassemble an SXP Extreme Defender? I've looked all over YouTube and online and cannot find one specifically for the Extreme Defender. I'd imagine that any SXP model would work the same, but I'm running into a problem with the little foam padding behind the trigger guard (not allowing me to remove the receiver), unless someone knows of a way around it? Second, I'm looking into replacing the stock ATI with another one but when I find one, the company or webpage only shows available for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 and I believe the Winchester SXP is similar to the Mossberg 500 and would fit, but just need confirmation before I purchase anything. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

MXC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:46 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum TXWild !!

Enjoy our community !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:55 am
TXWILD, I don't have an answer for the disassembly of the gun. BUT, you can change the pinned stock to an adjustable stock with an ATI retrofit kit. The stocks had to be pinned due to import regulations.

I found the piece on the web a while back but ATI didn't have it on their site, so I emailed them. The part still is available and is cheaper than having to buy a new stock. I included the text of their email response.

ATI retro fit kit for the Winchester SXP Extreme Defender to make it adjustable.
Part #: B.1.10.1006.

From ATI... "We do still offer that retro kit for that gun we just do not have it on the web site. If you wish to order you can call Troy at 414-202-0985 or Douglas at 262-788-0706 and one of us would be glad to help you order that. Thank you and have a great day."
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum GunGuy83 !!

Enjoy our community...

Return to Winchester SXP