My sxp defender modifications

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:24 pm
Just posting the modifications I did to my defender to give other owners some info on what they can do to their gun. The sxp defender is a great gun but it can be tough to accessorize. I will list the accessories then ill post some pics. I hope this helps some people because I know when I first got mine I had a lot of trouble finding what accessories would be compatable before i bought them.

First I bought a scope rail off amazon for 9$. My defender was already drilled for scope so this was super easy. I just got the weaver mount for the Winchester 1300 and it fit perfectly.

Probably the best product i found that I highly recommend is the ATI 7 shot fluted magazine extension with the standoff cap. This made my sxp into an 8+1 shotgun(in 2 3/4" shells, 7+1 in 3"shells) Again this was under products for the 1300 but fit mine perfectly. The main issue with this is that you must file down the 2 bumps inside the end of your mag that block the follower and shells. hopefully you have a good metal file laying around. Takes a little work but well worth it. Now you have a true tactical/assault shotgun on your hands. The extension looks great and is very sturdy and requires no clamp. It sticks out about 3" past your original barrel so keep that in mind. With my modifications this worked out perfect but remember to factor this into your whatever plans you have. This was 50$ from the ATI website.

The red dot is a utg that I got off amazon for about 40$. It had a bunch of good reviews and i didn't want to spend a lot of money on the sight. It is extremely sturdy and accurate so far so im very happy with it but I havent had it long enough to give it a strong recommendation.

The flashlight mount is a nebo mount i got from amazon for about 10$. The flashlight is an old nebo light i already had. I know i could get smaller more convenient mounts but I really like the way this one looks. I wanted one that dropped straight down like this.

The stock is the ATI Talon 6 position adjustable stock. This one was easy because it is actually made just for the sxp. Great stock, very highly recommended. The padded pistol grip is what really makes it stand out. It is standard to have the soft recoil pad for the shoulder but no pistol grip stock I have ever used has such a well cushioned grip for the shooting hand. Got mine from ATI website for 95$(year end special).

Finally I threaded the barrel myself and installed a chaos warthog muzzle break. This really makes you feel like you have a custom gun and is pretty fun and easy to do. It also makes your mag extension blend much better. There are a bunch of muzzle brakes made for the saiga 12 to choose from. I got the warthog from carolinashootingsupply for under 50$. The threading tools are made for the saiga 12, but get some calipers and a file and make sure your barrel is 22mm and you can use them on the sxp. You need a die(22x.75 RH I got mine from amazon for20$), a die handle(amazon <10$) and a thread alignment tool(CSS 20$). make sure you have a lot of oil. go slow and back it up often. (you can find instrustions online). Once you have it threaded its cool to know you can alternate different muzzle brakes to customize your gun.

The finish is from a duracoat shake and spray ACU grey/green kit(amazon 40$). Very easy to do. I did my pistols with cerakote and while it is superior, it is a pain in the ass, and no matter how good the finish is it will scratch, so from now on I go the easy way.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 pm
This is the only picture i can upload for now. it says the others are too large.
Attachments
sxp1.jpg
sxp1.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 21400 times
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum TRE !!

Excellent job on the mods and paint ...

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm
What all did you do to the barrel to get this muzzle brake on? I'm looking I install one on mine but I don't know what all I need to do it?

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 pm
I threaded the barrel using hand tools. just thread it the same as a saiga 12 and then you can choose the muzzle brake from the ones made for the saiga(there are a lot of them). the stuff I bought is listed above. CSS=Carolina shooting supply by the way.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm
Finally threaded mine and I installed the pheinox fire flame door breacher and I have the chaos on its way

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:49 am
Nice. Post a pic when you get it.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 pm
Aybody know if I can buy just the door breach that comes with the SXP Extreme and Ultimate? Also, what would I need to do to add it to my standard SXP Defender? I'm assuming the barrel isn't pre threaded?

Thanks.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm
I am pretty sure that is internally threaded(choke type). threading it that way would probably best be done by a gunsmith. Only the extreme and the stainless defenders are threaded for chokes I think.

Return to Winchester SXP