Modifications from SXP Waterfowl to Home Defense

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 am
Hello Forum,
This is my first time on the winchester forum and owning a winchester. I won a Winchester SXP 3" Waterfowl DU Edition at a local banquet not to long ago. I already have a trustworthy and reliable duck gun that I've been using for 10 years now and I am not willing to retire it. It was a dear friend's of mine who is no longer with us, and I hunt with it every day, almost year around. I do need a home defense shotgun though and I think with the fast action,smooth shooting, and reliability that Winchesters are known for, this would make a great HD gun. My questions to all of you guys:
1) Can I use a "defender" 18" barrel in my 3" Waterfowl SXP.
2) Can I put in an extended magazine
3) Is the stock changeable

I know that, if changeable, the black and camo will look funny together. Honestly, I don't really care because the only people seeing it will be me, my wife, and bad guys. I know she and I won't care, and I don't care what the bad guys think about my mismatching gun.

I would like to keep all the camo stuff with it also, in case of ever needing to sell, all the DU stuff is original and will sell for more.

Thank you guys for your time
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:18 pm
Welcome to the Winchester Owners Forum !!

Copper BB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:51 pm
The barrels for the defender 18" should interchange on your other SXP because the SXP Extreme Defender is also 3" chambered.

As far as the mag extension, yes, but not without modifications to the existing tube. I believe you have to file the retainer ribs out of the mag tube that stop the follower and shells at the mag cap end and possible do some threading. There is a thread on here where a guy did this mod that explains how he did it.

If the Waterfowl SXP is like the standard SXP you can change out both the butt stock and foregrip. ATI has a package deal for SXPs that has the 6 position adjustable stock (same as the stock standard on the SXP ED except it is already adjustable,) and a foregrip for around $250. There is also a pistol only grip for around $50 and a few other options.

Hope this helps, post before and afters if you end up modding your DU.

Return to Winchester SXP